Chapter 3

Neve's POV

I couldn't keep my eyes off that girl. Sure I've seen her around and heard of her, but she was just so alluring in person. Her leather jacket looks good with her school uniform, even though it's an unlikely match. Her caramel skin looks sunkissed, even as it's nearing winter.

The bell rings and I wait until everyone has walked in before I go next. I always avoid crowds as much as possible, not wanting to accidentally freeze anyone. As I walk by Ember, I feel a warmth spread through me, surprising me greatly. I'm never warm.

Carrying onto my class, trying to get this girl out of my thoughts, I think about the day that is to come. New year, new classes. Going to my first one, English, I take empty halls, going the long way to my classroom.

I'm greeted with a stone cold face as I walk into the room, Ember immediately drawing my attention. It's like she's a magnet, drawing my eyes towards her. I sit in the back corner away from everyone, wanting to keep my distance. I try to stay away, just in case someone gets too close. Soon the chairs fill up everywhere but around me, people know I like to be left alone.

If someone talks to me, I'm friendly with them, but I just never make relationships in case someone gets hurt.

However my safe bubble around me is shattered as Ember sits to my side, not glancing my way once. I wait for her to say something, anything, wanting to hear her voice. But she doesn't.

Not talking to her, I rumble through my bookbag for the school supplies I'm reusing. I always use the binders that I've had for years, and then get paper from the teachers.

The class goes by quickly, the only time Ember glanced at me being when my name was called. I hear her mutter my name under her breath before she looks away.

Thinking that was odd but trying to forget about it, I made it through the day without her in any other classes. Sneaking out of my last class after everyone has already left, I walk to the locker rooms to shower. It's the only place I can get clean for free without having to expose myself as homeless.

I feel eyes following my every move when I walk into the locker room, but that ends quickly once the door is shut. Showering and changing into more comfortable clothes, I walk back out, only to feel eyes on me again. Looking around, I don't see anyone. Brushing it off, I make my way to the alley.

The sky is dark, clouds looming over me heavily, looking like they are about to drop rain any minute.

I'm halfway to my makeshift home when I hear footsteps behind me. Quickly turning around, I can't spot anyone, taking a deep breath to calm myself. No one is following me, it must be in my mind. The rain starts, causing me to groan, knowing I will have to go to bed wet tonight.

Finally reaching my home, which is just a cardboard box with a piece of flat metal over top of it to keep the rain out, I can finally breathe freely. Taking off my gloves, I put them in my pocket, making a mental note of where they are so I don't lose them.

As I'm about to crawl into my box, I hear a quiet gasp come front the entrance of the alleyway. I can barely hear it over the pouring rain, but I do. I turn around quickly only to be met with the amber eyes of the girl that has been stuck on my mind all day; Ember.