Chapter 11

Neve's POV

The rest of the dinner was quite awkward, no one saying anything except Mark. He kept making jokes, causing us to laugh, but that was all that happened.

Ember and I dropped the conversation about being able to touch people, the previous excitement that I had was long gone. All that was left was a hint of dread at the fact that Ember will no longer be as special to me as she was before.

This doesn't deter me from wanting to control my powers, it just bums me out a bit.

We clean up the table after dinner, and I help wash up. However, the water that runs over the dishes that I'm washing freezes as soon as it hits my plate. Sighing, I set my plate and fork in the dishwasher before running up the stairs without a goodbye.

Realising what I just did was rude, I try to decide whether I should go down and apologize or just sulk in my new bed at my lack of control.

Deciding to sulk, I walk into the room and flop onto the bed, not having enough positive energy to jump onto it like a frog.

I'm lost in my sad thoughts, wondering when I would ever learn control or ever have someone to care about again. I miss protecting someone, having someone who brings me joy and a reason for living. I miss that.

I don't notice the door opening, or the person that sits on my bed, until they rub a hand on my back soothingly. I gasp, looking up to be met with gorgeous amber eyes. I could never get sick of them, staring at them all day sounds like a perfect idea.

I'm broken out of my stupor when Ember talks, "Are you just going to keep staring or will you tell me what's wrong?"

Noticing she's smiling softly at me, I realize I've never seen such a gentle side of her.

"I'm just frustrated. I can't control my so-called 'gift,' and the one person I loved is dead. There is no desire to continue on, and that scares me." I never intended to tell that to her, but I feel so comfortable around her, I couldn't help it.

Ember looks me in the eyes, stopping my train of thought quickly. "You need to find another reason to keep living, or everything we do will be pointless. We are fighting for our lives against the Hunters, and if you don't want to fight any longer, we will lose. The reason could be anything, it could be something so miniscule that it doesn't matter to others, it just has to matter to you."

I sit up while nodding, understanding the reason I need to continue on. It's not just my life at stake, but others as well. They are all counting on me to fight with them, and I will.

She grabs my hand, rubbing her thumb along the back soothingly. "I believe in you. You will be able to control your abilities and we will win against the Hunters. After everything is over, we can find true happiness in life, but for now, you just need a reason to keep going."

Her hand feels so warm in mine, soothing me further. I've haven't felt warmth in such a long time, and I never realized how much I missed it.

I think I found my reason, and she is sitting right in front of me.