TWENTY-EIGHT

"Where is Liam today?" I ask Amy during lunch, as I search around the dining hall for any sign of him.

When I woke up this morning, he wasn't at home. I thought he might have something important to do when he didn't show up for breakfast. But now even Jason and Tyler are here and Liam is nowhere to be seen. I can't help but wonder if my request to join the pack pissed him off because he has been upset ever since. Although, if he didn't like that then why would he agree? That still doesn't explain his bad mood. I am starting to get a little worried so I figured, I might as well ask someone before I lose my mind with my overthinking.

"Oh, um," Amy begins with a somber look, "Today is Aunt Lizzy's birthday. He probably went to her grave."

"Oh."

I eat the rest of my food in silence and excuse myself afterwards to go back home. I just want to be there when Liam returns and make sure he's okay. Once I've returned, I walk over to the kitchen for a glass of water. Through the kitchen window, I spot Liam sitting on a bench in the backyard. I go outside and walk up to him.

"Hey," I say softly. He turns his head to look at me but doesn't say anything.

"You okay?" I ask.

He just nods his head and goes back to staring straight ahead, at the the snow covered trees.

"Sure?" I question as I sit down next to him.

"I'm fine. Just leave me alone," he huffs.

"Okay," I reply but don't move.

He doesn't say anything and returns to his thoughts. There are only a few inches between us as I sit with him in silence. It feels like hours have passed when he finally shuffles around a little next to me. I gently trace my hand onto his and give it a light squeeze. The warmth of his hand spreads onto mine and I feel him relax a little bit. We sit like this for a while until Liam finally breaks the silence.

"She would've liked you, you know," he says, still not looking at me.

"Hmm?" I turn my head to look at him. He moves his wrist and interlocks his fingers with mine.

"My mom," he continues as he turns his head towards me and his eyes meet mine. "She would've liked you."

"You think so," I ask with a smile.

"Yeah," he whispers as he looks down to our intertwined hands and gently rubs circles on the  back of mine with his thumb.

"Tell me about her," I say.

He stays quiet for a few seconds and I think that maybe I have overstepped, but then he squeezes my hand and begins speaking.

"She loved to read. There wasn't a single night when we were kids when she didn't read to us. She was so smart. I still remember how she would always have so many ideas to improve the pack one way or another." His lip curls up into a slight smile as he talks about her. "And she was so kind," he continues. "Even though, she was an Alpha's daughter and a Luna, she still never treated anyone as less than. She started an orphanage and even accepted rogue pups in it."

"She sounds amazing," I add.

"She was," he says quietly. "I just miss her a lot."

"I'm sure she is very proud of you, Liam," I say, leaning my head slightly and placing it on his shoulder.

We don't say anything for a while and I relish being so close to Liam. It feels so comfortable and safe.

I am pulled away from my thoughts when Liam speaks again.