Chapter 8: Paige

I nervously wait for Ryder outside of Ryder's bedroom. My wolf is pacing back and forward in my mind. Ashley and Chase come out of the room. They give me a cold glance and leave. I run into the room. Dr. Jones is sitting beside Ryder who is pale. He is attached to a monitor and is weak. "Is he going to be okay?" I asked, my voice trembling. He offers me a seat and I sit down, my legs shaking.

"Paige, the Alpha is ok. He is healing slower than expected but he is going to be fine." Dr. Jones answered calmly. My eyes fill with tears of relief. He gives me a hug and says, "It was not your fault. I should have been there to help you with your mother." I shake my head and give him a weak smile. "Thank you," I whispered I hold back my wolf's urge to touch Ryder. My wolf is screaming at me to mark him but I convince her that it wasn't our right.

Dr. Jones and I are startled by the sound of knocking. I turn to see Ashley, Chase, and Elder John entering the room. Ashley gives me a smile but it does not reach her eyes. However, I can tell that she is trying to be civilized. Chase does not spare me a glance, he struggles to keep his wolf at bay. Elder John makes his way towards me and pats my shoulder. There is a lump in my throat as I knew that this was my fault. "If you could excuse us, we'd like to talk to Paige in the office." Elder John says, evenly. Dr. Jones nods and gives me an encouraging smile.

I follow Chase and Ashley out of the room. My heart is beating fast and guilt washes over me. Chase holds the door open as we enter the office. I see Ryder's desk full of paperwork. I go on my knees. "I'm sorry. I'll do anything. Please don't kick my mother out of the pack. She-" I stuttered, my hands trembling. Elder John bends down and gently lifts my face to look at his. "Child, it was an accident. It was Ryder's duty as an Alpha to protect his pack." He says as I shake my head.

Elder John didn't know that I was his ex-mate that it was the mate-bond that hurt him. I was irresponsible. Ashley sighs loudly. "It's his damn fault, anyway." She says as Elder John pulls me up. Chase looks away in anger. "However, we cannot dismiss that you disobeyed your Alpha's order and left the safe house. You have endangered the lives of many pack members." Elder John says sternly.

"For this, I propose that your punishment would be caring for Ryder until he wakes up." Elder John says. "But... why me? Ashley?" I stammered, confused. Elder John glances at Ashley and she nods. "Ashley has to visit another pack as she and Ryder were forming an alliance with the Red Moon pack." He explains. I nodded. Chase's eyes darken and he leaves the room. On his way out, he slams the door shut. Ashley shoots me an apologetic look before running after him.

An awkward silence fills the room. "Paige. I have arranged a caretaker for your mother so please use your time to care for Ryder." Elder John says, kindly. I felt numb. I guess it was punishment. I had hurt him and now I would pay by caring for him. I prayed to the Moon Goddess that I wouldn't fall for him. Elder John dismisses me and I run after Chase. I find him sitting in the meadow, alone.

"I- I just wanted to apologize-" I said, my voice shaky. He whips his head up and hatred is clear in his eyes. "You risked the life of your Alpha. My best friend. There were so many things that you could have done that didn't go against protocol." He snaps, his eyes turning dark. He fights with his wolf and turns away from me. "I-I" I tried to say more, but my throat dries up.

He glares and says, "Save it." He then leaves me alone in the meadow. I watch helplessly as he shifts into his wolf and disappears into the woods. My wolf howls mournfully as she recalls the pain in my mate's face. How he had tried to reassure me before losing consciousness. I see the gamma and his family. Lindsey waves at me but her mother whispers to her. They turn their backs and walk away.

Lindsey looks back at me with confusion but I give her a smile and she follows her parents. It stung but it was reasonable. Wolves were incredibly loyal to their Alpha and I had threatened Ryder's life. I was in some ways a traitor to the pack. I sighed. It was clear that was no use trying to make amends. I was given a job. Until I nurse Ryder back to health, I was not trusted. I make my way out of the meadow and head back to the packhouse.

I step inside of Ryder's room. Without panic and worry, I finally notice the mouthwatering scent that the room gave off. I scold my wolf and remind her why we are here. He lies there in his bed, looking ashen. I pull up a chair and take a seat beside his bed. I take his hand which I can still feel faint sparks. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I mumbled as I hold back tears. What mate, ex-mate, or not hurt their mate? I calm myself down. I gently brush his hair away from his eyes.

I looked at his face. He looks younger than I had ever seen him. His face is relaxed and his lips are slightly parted. I couldn't help but smile weakly. He was a sight for sore eyes. "Now, what shall I do with you?" I said, feeling determined.