fourteen | f.r.i.e.n.d.s and jenga

Gabriella Hart

Gabriella Hart

Walking slowly up to my locker, I grabbed a few of my books that I would need for studying later on and covered my face inside of it. My head was completely full of all the thinking I had been doing, and I just needed a rest. The first thing I wanted to do was to get out of this school already.

As soon as noise erupted around me through the halls, I pulled my head back out, due to not wanting to look like I had escaped the asylum down the road. However, pulling my head out of my locker also resulted in me seeing a scene that I really didn't want to see this morning, or ever.

Caleb had his lips pressed against Haley Smith's neck, probably placing large and noticeable hickeys all the way up to her jaw. She was always known to be a girl that gave it up to almost anybody, but I didn't think that Caleb would go for someone like her. I assumed that he would see her as too easy.

My heart sunk inside my chest as they slowly brought their lips together and kissed for what seemed to last forever until she pulled away and walked off with his arm wrapped around her shoulders. It made my heart sink into my chest and I really wasn't sure why.

Knowing Caleb for such a short amount of time didn't give me the permission to be jealous or annoyed. I closed my locker hastily and slowly walked towards main school doors.

My head dropped when I realised I didn't have a car to drive home in and I had to endure a long walk home. After everything that had happened today, I really wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone anyway. Therefore, I turned on my sad playlist on Spotify and placed the earphones into my ears before letting the music drown out the silence.

Skipping school really wasn't like me and so every step I seemed to take away from school, the mor wrong it felt that I wasn't there in a class. However, after what had happened this morning with Flora in the bathroom, it was probably best that I skipped the last few classes and the football game later on.

It's not like I was really going to learn from classes or watch the game when my head was constantly filled with my made up image of James and Flora together. It was also filled with the image of Haley and Caleb, kissing each other as if their lives depended on it.

The thought of the two couples together was making my head begin to hurt. They were all going to be happy, leaving me out of the picture completely. I still couldn't believe that we were barely a month into senior year, and my life had already fallen into a mess.

I still couldn't help but imagine what could've happened if I hadn't taken Caleb home that night from the party. James and I would still be together, but I wouldn't have known that he was willing to cheat on me so easily after a small disagreement.

My eyes opened properly to look at the street ahead where I could see the house I was having to live in for a while.

I was actually starting to miss my mom. She was the one person I could always talk to about anything and if it weren't for my pathetic excuse for a father, I would still be at home with her. I would have able to come home and cry into her lap whilst she played with my hair and fed me ice cream by the tonne.