nineteen | blushing and rain

Waking up on Monday morning, I had forgotten that the person Caleb hated most in the world was literally right above me

Waking up on Monday morning, I had forgotten that the person Caleb hated most in the world was literally right above me. I sat up and listened to the quick shuffling from upstairs, making my body feel uncomfortable.

I felt the need to bang on the ceiling to tell him to shut up, but as my height was a disadvantage, I couldn't reach, even standing on the bed. I laughed to myself as I laid back onto the bed and let my head fall to the side.

"Wake up!" I suddenly heard Caleb's voice shout from the other side of my door, making me wake up completely, "I'm taking you to school." Caleb bluntly finished as I heard his footsteps retreating away from the door again.

Sighing quietly, I got up and ran to the shower before anybody else could take it. I wanted to be first in so I could be ready and finish some homework I stupidly hadn't done and instead watched too much Netflix. But then again, that could all be blamed on the day hangover I had suffered with.

Soaking my hair and body, I indulged in this small amount of time I would have in the warmth of the shower. "Hurry up Gabby!" Kylie shouted from outside the bathroom, knocking quite loudly on the door. "I'll be out in a sec," I shouted back, lying. I turned up the heat and washed my hair.

After taking my time and feeling fully clean, wrapped a towel round my body and walked out of the bathroom to an angry looking Kylie. "It's meant to be ten minutes per person," she practically growled as she shoved past me and closed the door behind her.

I simply rolled my eyes as my body suddenly ran into someone else in the hall, despite nobody except for Kylie being out here earlier. Looking up, it was Jake with hair that looked a mess on top of his head.

"Sorry Gabriella, my bad," he said slowly, sounding like an actual gentleman for once, but the smirk on his face told me otherwise. I rolled my eyes again and shoved past him to get back to my room.

I changed into some blue jeans and a white shirt before applying a little bit of make up and drying my hair into a state that looked decent enough to go to school with.

Caleb was slouched down on the couch when I finally walked downstairs. My eyes caught the side of his head as I looked him up and down. His hair was messily done and he was dressed rather casual, but he looked good.

I mentally scolded myself for checking him out when he spotted me out of the corner of his eye. My cheeks heated up as I turned and walked into the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. "Are you blushing?"

"No!" I immediately denied it as I made myself some toast and ate it as I followed Caleb out to the car. He was still smirking when I sat down next to him and avoided his eyes by looking out of the window instead.

The journey to school itself was rather awkward. It was completely silent and I felt sick to my stomach that this was what our short-lived friendship had already turned into.

Climbing out of the car, I closed the door and tried to slam it but because of little strength in my arms, I failed miserably. I was angry and the silence was annoying me more than when I used to have to babysit Kylie for a day.

"Hey, wait!" the warmth of his hand around my wrist made me instantly turn round to face him. I hated that he still had this kind of effect on me, even when I was angry with him. "What?" I asked, trying to sound angry, but it came out as more of a whisper than anything.

"I'm taking you for some food tonight," he told me bluntly but with a smile tugging on his face. My eyebrows suddenly lifted as I felt confusion run through me. Where the hell had this come from?

Before I could even answer his question, he walked off in the opposite direction with a salute. "Meet by the car after school." He shouted with his back to me as my eyebrows now furrowed together.

I should've said no but I couldn't help the silence that had fallen when he had asked me. I wanted to hit myself for not arguing but I was too stunned to say anything to him when he was standing in front of me.

Nothing good could ever come from Caleb and I being together, but something draws me in and I just wanted to be with him somethings, but then I realise what he does as soon as I'm drawn in. He ruins it and we argue again.

• • •

After many classes of attempting to avoid James once again, I succeeded and finally reached the cafeteria with Flora actually sitting with me. I didn't think she would, but she was sucking up to me, attempting to make me fully forgive her for what she had done.

But how could I when she was still involved with James, and had also slept with him when I was still his girlfriend.

With a faked smile, I walked over and sat down with a tray of fries and a sandwich whilst Flora had her own lunch from home. "So, how's things with James?" I asked sarcastically as she ducked her head awkwardly.

Although it wasn't a great question to ask, I knew that we needed to talk about it, and keeping it as a buried conversation wasn't helping anyone. I knew I was over him, but that didn't stop me from wanting to know what position they were in exactly.

Just as I said it, James walked past with a sad smile on his face. I glared back at him as he sat on a table with some other friends.

"We're just friends," she said whilst picking at her food and looking over at James ever so often. I simply rolled my eyes and looked over at her. "Bull shit Flora," she looked up at my expression, and surprisingly, I wasn't actually too angry.

I didn't feel as heartbroken when I thought about them being together. I guessed that I must've not felt how  I should've when I was with James. Something was obviously missing, otherwise I would have never spoken to Flora for the rest of my life.

Our conversation about James was finished quickly as we both knew it was not a conversation subject we would really like to prolong.

Instead, we talked about the things we used to. It was still rather awkward between us, but it was getting better and I knew that it wouldn't be like this forever.

I knew that Caleb hated that I was talking to her again, but I couldn't stand the silence that would drown me in the cafeteria when I didn't have anyone to talk to.

After school was finally finished, it was raining heavily as I watched students run to take cover and sprint to their cars to get home. However, my Spanish folder was the only thing keeping my head dry and I hated that Caleb was laughing at me when I finally reached his car.

He was strangely leaning against it in the pouring rain and I wanted nothing more than to hit him for being so stupid.

"Get in the car, you idiot!" I shouted at him as he climbed in one side and I climbed in the other. "Are you stupid? Have you ever heard of an umbrella?" I asked as if he was still in kindergarten and didn't know what he was doing.

"I was making sure you didn't stand me up," he winked at me with dripping hair almost covering his eyes. I wanted, so desperately to wipe the hair from his face but I stopped myself before my hand could move.

"Do you really think I would stand you up with the weather like this? I need a ride," I smirked over at him as he simply laughed and drove off.

I was hoping this was the start of our second attempt at a friendship, despite knowing that he was going to hurt me again. He was going to bring back another girl and I would feel heartbroken again, and again.

Maybe I just liked the pain of a broken heart.