Chapter 16: Give him a chance...

Chapter 16

I stood in my usual spot behind everyone else listening as he discussed pack business. As usual his words went right over my head because I was just too focused on watching the many different expressions play out on his handsome face.

This was probably why I loved pack meetings so much; because I was able to watch him with total abandon and no one would question my stares.

“The council has informed me that they have selected a group of some of the bravest and strongest she wolves for the…role of my mate.”

I looked up as he said this, my eyes growing wide. Mumbling started in the crowd, getting louder and louder as people began expressing their views with each other. Carson stood silently on the platform his eyes skimming the crowd to land on me. I gave him a small smile and he continued.

“I know many of you have been questioning why it is that I don’t have a mate yet or if I’m even going to find a mate before the full moon but as much as I appreciate the council’s aid and be assured that I have absolutely nothing against the women they have chosen, I won’t be choosing a mate produced by the council. When I mark my mate it will be my true mate and whether or not that person comes before or after the full moon has no bearing on the situation.”

After this announcement, people couldn’t keep quiet any longer. Everyone was talking, some animatedly, some disappointed and others disapproving.

“If you all will just quiet down we’ll move on to other notices.” Carson said softly and not for the first time I was amazed at how he could get a pack of over four hundred wolves to obey him without even raising his voice. My heart swelled with pride.

“You’ll be happy to know that hunts will continue from now on, the forest is no longer out of bounds however you are all expected to stay within the territory. No one is allowed to cross the border.” His voice was firm and I held my head down in shame when he looked at me again.

He was obviously saying it to me. Not that he’d have to worry about that anymore. I was done breaking the rules, I’d learned my lesson the hard way and I certainly wasn’t interested in getting a second dose.

Cheers rose up within the pack at the news that the hunt was now open. Everyone had been so restless for the past month and a half and we were all pretty excited to get back out there, feeling the wind in our fur, the smell of the forest and the dirt beneath our paws.

“Don’t forget, everyone should travel in pairs or more but no one should go out alone. That is all.”

With that the meeting was over and in no time, guys were stripping down and others had already shifted into their wolves. Their excitement was contagious as I found myself longing to run with them.

“You coming?” I looked around when I heard his voice to see him standing beside me naked to his waist.

“We’re gonna hunt?” I asked excited.

“Think we’ll leave the hunting for next time I was thinking we could go for a swim.” He smiled down at me, his eyes warm with happiness.

I pulled the shirt over my head and dropped it to the dirt. Then I gave him a wink and before he could respond I shifted and darted off into the forest, heading towards our lake.

It didn’t take long for him to catch up and then we were running side by side, step for step, breath for breath. It was great to be back out here. I had missed this and the way my wolf was all but prancing between the trees I could tell he was happy to finally enjoy the forest once more as well.

…………….

Much like the first time I’d come here, it was deserted which meant Carson and I had the lake all to ourselves! I shifted and stripped off my pants, unashamed that he was seeing me naked. This wouldn’t be the first time after all, or the second…or the third…or the…well you get the point. .