Chapter 17 - Ocean

Can the floor open up now? So I don't have to face Drew. Bryce wants us to say goodbye to Drew first before we leave. Apparently he thinks that Drew is like a brother to me, so as a good date he has to get permission from him. Hell my previous dates never asked permission from my brothers. If they asked the answer for sure it was a broken bone.

"I think it's okay Bryce. I can text him later" I try one last time.

"Never mind Ocean, after all he is my friend too" he caresses my back.

Ugh...

"Ocean!"

We look back. "Meredith" I smile and come to her while Bryce follows behind me.

"Hey, Bryce... can I borrow her for a while?"

"Um..." before Bryce can answer her I cut in "sure Mer. I want to go to the toilet anyway" I smile at Bryce.

"Okay then. I'll wait here, Ocean"

"Perfect" I grin too wide and pull Meredith with me.

She chuckles while we are walking to the toilet.

"Stop it Mer! I know you know" I chuckle too and walk fast to the toilet, well not too fast since Meredith is wearing a mermaid gown and mine is almost as tight as her.

Meredith tries to open it but it's locked "shit" she curses and we both laugh and walk to the veranda. And thank God it's empty.

Mer gives a long exhale so do I. And we both burst into laughter. "God, Bryce is so clueless" she says and I nod. "Thanks for saving me, Mer" I say.

Meredith chuckles and shakes her head "You still have to face Drew, though"

"I know... but the truth is I don't know why he has to be so mad at Bryce. I mean.. okay Zac also acted like that to all of my dates. But c'mon Drew is not even my real brother. He takes his role too seriously"

Meredith chuckles in disbelief "you really have no idea, do you?"

"About?" I blink, confused.

"Drew's feeling"

"I know! He is just protective over me. But it's too much" I say.

Meredith bites her lip and as if she decided on something. "Okay Ocean. Let be honest"

"Um..." I twirl my hair with my finger to push my nervousness.

"Why did you bring Bryce tonight?"

"No I'm not. Lockwood Tech invites him."

"He asked you to be his date?"

"Um not really. I met Bryce at the event in New York, you know we walk in the same social circle. And we chatted. Turns out we found out both of us are invited to this event. Since Bryce didn't have any date, so did I. So we decided to come together"

She nods "and you know Drew will be here as well"

I squirm and look away.

"I'm waiting," she says in relax.

I exhale and face Meredith "it's not like that, Mer. The truth is... I told Drew that I want us to be back as friends. I don't want to mix our friendship with... whatever it is"

"Okay..." she says slowly and asks me to continue.

"And I um... failed?" I try to find the best word to describe myself.

"Failed?"

I shake my head "I can't do that. I asked us to forget about what happened. The truth is I can't forget about it. I asked us the next time we meet each other we will be back as friends, but I can't. And I was thinking he would be here with a date. The last time he had a date, I had an ugly feeling, I can't even cover it. So this time, I take another route. If I brought my own date..." I bite my lips. Hoping Meredith to understand.