Chapter Seventy Five

"Amelia!" Urquhart calls to me the next morning, running up to me hastily. "Where were you at practice yesterday?" He demands, crossing his arms over his chest. Today is our first match against Gryffindor, but I don't feel as excited as I should be.

"I forgot, sorry," I say awkwardly. Truth is, I was too busy trying to fix the Vanishing Cabinet with Draco.

Urquhart rolls his eyes. "Vaisey was hit in the head with a Bludger last night and Malfoy is ill. I'm putting Harper in as Seeker and you're playing Chaser," He tells me commandingly.

"Who's Keeper?" I ask, trying to keep my calm when he says that Draco is too ill to play. He was just fine last night, why wouldn't he be able to play now?

"Mini McLaggen," Urquhart says. "You don't remember that he's reserve Keeper?"

I bite my lip. "Er — sorry."

"You're acting so strange this year, Grey," Urquhart says with an eyebrow raised before heading off to the Great Hall for some breakfast.

I decide to skip breakfast and decide to head into the boy's dormitory to see Draco. I wonder if he was truly ill or if he was lying about the whole matter. Last time Draco was unable to play, due to a minor injury, he made the entire Slytherin team reschedule the game so that he could participate.

"Draco?" I call out into the empty room.

I get no response. Suddenly, an idea comes into my head but I quickly shake my head and dismiss it.

He wouldn't claim to be ill so he could work on the Vanishing Cabinet — would he?

Sprinting out of the dungeons, I run up multiple flights of stairs until I reach the seventh floor. I check around to see if anyone is near me before I enter the Room of Requirement.

"Reparo!" Draco says, extending his wand out.

"What are you doing? We have a Quidditch match today!" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air.

Draco looks at me. "Don't you see? Everyone is outside at the Quidditch match. This is the perfect time to continue working without the risk of getting caught. I have to do this Amelia!"

"And you couldn't even tell me? I could have helped!" I retort angrily.

"Your favorite thing to do is Quidditch, I couldn't do that to you," He tells me.

I sigh. "I'm coming back here after the match."

Draco nods, happy to hear that I would continue playing Quidditch even without him there.

"Amelia! Where were you at breakfast?" Daphne asks the second I return to the dungeons. "Willow brought this for you but you were nowhere to be found!"

She hands me a letter, sealed neatly. My name is written on the top in clean handwriting.

"Er — thanks," I say before going into the girl's dormitory where I can open my letter in peace.

Amelia,

I've warned you once and I don't want to do it again. Stay away from Draco Malfoy or things will get fatal. You don't want to test me.

From, a dear friend

******

"You're late," Urquhart says to me as I enter the changing room. He's already in his robes, along with the rest of the team. "Seriously, Amelia, I'm supposed to be giving you Captain next year? You barely show up to anything anymore and when you do you're never on time."

"Sorry," I say insincerely as I throw on my Quidditch robes. The letter I received has left me worrying for an hour. Surely it's a prank and no one would die because of it. I mean, who would want me and Draco to stay away from each other that bad?

"The weather is nice out, I think we're alright," Harper says in an attempt to be enthusiastic. He's an even worse seeker than Draco, he is no match up against Harry.

"Vaisey was our best scorer," Urquhart says disappointedly. "And Grey was our best Keeper."

"You were the one who put me as a Chaser," I respond, fixing my Quidditch robes. "C'mon, we have no time to argue, let's get out there and kick Gryffindor's arse!" I say happily.

The team follows me out onto the pitch where the Gryffindor team already stands. Harry or Ron don't acknowledge my presence but Ginny gives me a quaint nod.

Nearly all the students at Hogwarts were here, but the one person I would have wanted to have been here is up on the seventh floor.

"Captains shake hands," Madam Hooch says. Urquhart gives Harry a bone crushing squeeze. "Mount your brooms. On the whistle . . . three . . . two . . . one," She blows her whistle.

Zacharias Smith, a Hufflepuff boy, has replaced Lee Jordan in announcing. He's one of the only students at Hogwarts who favors the Slytherins over the Gryffindors, which makes me feel a little more assured. I know he won't dare make any rude comments toward any of the Slytherin players.

Half an hour into the game, Slytherin is losing dramatically by sixty to twenty. I've attempted to score four times, only two of my shots going in. Ron Weasley has certainly improved at Keeper. It's almost as if he magically improved overnight. As for Mini McLaggen as a Keeper, I think I could do better than him with my eyes closed.

"Harper sees the Snitch!" I say excitedly as I pass Urquhart. "And Potter isn't moving!"

My words seem to jinx everything. Harry sees the Snitch as well and accelerates, catching up to Harper. He says something to Harper that I can't hear, causing him to fumble his grip on the Snitch and have it go right to Harry.

"And Gryffindor wins the match!" Zacharias announces, almost dejectedly.

The Gryffindors all collide into a bone crushing hug, except for Ginny who 'accidentally' crashes into the announcer's area. The Slytherins, however, tread back to the changing rooms defeatedly.

I don't bother to change out of my Quidditch robes as I sprint off the pitch and up the stairs to reunite with a very specific someone.

—-
Who do you think is sending the letters :0

I have to babysit in like ten minutes all the way until nine so maybe if I can I'll try to upload another chapter tonight