CHAPTER SIX

"Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home."― Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Eventually, I decided to give Demola a chance. Day by day, our relationship grew. I was optimistic but still very much at alert. I was trying to take time everyday to think positive thoughts, pray and love myself more.

I continued to work at Valley View and Demola continued to run Regal Tech Corporation and his other affiliated businesses.

One day, my mum paid me a visit in Lagos and accompanied me to work. She told me she felt bored at my flat, so she would prefer to stay in my office. I decided to indulge her since I didn't attend to patients in my office anyway.

I am not sure if it was a coincidence or if Demola had some people at the hospital or area on his payroll, but he popped in shortly after we arrived.

We had been seeing each other for about four and a half months, but only every now and then since we were both very busy. We kept in touch online frequently, and had lunch together a few times. His hand gripping mine possessively, strong but gentle, during our outings. On nights we were both free, we had gone to see some movies, and he was cocky, but always a perfect gentleman.

He had come to my flat twice, but I gave excuses in order not to do likewise and pay him a visit at home, though I had been to his main office.

I was anxious about being alone with him in his Banana Island house. Offshore, surrounded by all that water. I wanted to get to know him better before taking that step.

Anyway, that day happened to be a Friday, so what else would Demola do beside come wearing his perfectly tailored native wear? A charcoal coloured linen buba (top), sokoto (trouser) and white fila (cap).

He walked into my office with his usual air of class and authority and greeted me with a gentle hug

He walked into my office with his usual air of class and authority and greeted me with a gentle hug. My mum raised an interested eyebrow.

He then turned to her and bowed respectfully. "Good afternoon ma'am. My name is Demola."

My mum greeted him very cheerfully and gave me the is-this-the-man-you-have-been-dating-and-you-didnt-bother-to-tell-us-the-good-news-look.

African parents!

My mum, definitely would not hesitate to express her feelings. I knew that I would certainly get a long 'mum talk' after he left. Demola removed his cap and held it, standing respectfully as he waited for me to introduce him to my mother. It was obvious that he was absolutely enjoying the situation. I decided to take control of the matter, in order to prevent my mum from doing so.

"Mum, this is my friend, Demola. Demola this is my mother."

Demola prostrated again. "Mum, I am so happy to meet you. Amara gets her beauty from you. Welcome to Lagos, how is Daddy?"