CHAPTER NINE

"And I'll rise up

I'll rise like the day

I'll rise up

I'll rise unafraid

I'll rise up

And I'll do it a thousand times again"

- Andrea Day (Rise up)

DAMILOLA

I cried day and night for two weeks after I left Demola's office.

Later, I would only cry first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I rejected his calls and blocked him on all the platforms on which we communicated. His parents and sister tried reaching out to me and I 'politely' declined all attempts to make contact.

My mum and dad suspected that something was wrong when Niyi, my elder brother returned to Lagos from Grace Petroleum Company, Port Harcourt and said he wanted to meet Demola. I came up with excuses, not wanting to explain what happened.

My dad told me that I was stubborn, just like my mother and I must have done something wrong. My mum told me I was proud like my father, and it was probably my fault.

After much pressure from Niyi, I told him privately that I got a shocking e-mail warning me about Demola and he couldn't deny the accusation.

Niyi being a level headed man asked if I allowed Demola to explain. "Did you listen to his side of the story?"

I shook my head slowly, perhaps I was a bit irrational. "No. I did not."

Niyi shook his head disapprovingly. "No matter what, Damilola, you should always allow for an explanation. Things aren't always what they seem."

"But the person said that evidence was available if I was ready to request for it," I replied.

"So? People get framed, lied against all the time," he retorted. "Did you do any investigation of your own?"

"No. I panicked, alright. He was the first man I opened up too and I was scared. I didn't want to take any risks after that incident."

Niyi put his hand on mine as we sat side by side on the verandah after work. "What happened was terrible, but you can't allow that to destroy your happiness today."

I kept quiet.

"Damilola, do you love him?"

I sobbed silently as I nodded. "Yes, I love him so much." I missed him so badly. His voice, smile, sense of humour, business acumen, maturity, intelligence and even his cockiness—which I had grown to love.

It had been three months since I had seen him, but it felt like an eternity. My heart was shattered into pieces, and I felt like I could not breathe without him.

Niyi put an arm around my shoulder, and pat my back. "I am so sorry that mum, dad and I did not do enough to help you process your emotions, grieve, and heal after what happened."

"Its okay. I understand. You thought that you were doing what was best for me when you tried to make me act as if it never happened. It's just so sad that I work as a medical doctor helping others and not getting the help I needed too."

"You know what you need to do. You need to rise up. Rise up Damilola. Rise up and fight for yourself. Rise up and forge ahead, without allowing the past hurt to hold you down."

My heart swelled and I felt like I was finally ready to get rid of the load that had been on my shoulders.

                      ******

Just as we were talking and Niyi was wiping my tears with a handkerchief. The three pm news broadcast started. Different news stories were reported before a story about a state estate development project came on.
Demola was looking slimmer, standing beside the Governor, and some other delegates.

"Look Damilola! He's in Lagos!" Niyi said.

I had previously been told that he had relocated to Abuja by his personal assistant, Tonye, when I saw him at a store in Ikeja. Seeing that he was now in Lagos was good news.

"Damilola. This is a chance to get your closure. Hear him out and settle your misunderstanding or move on."

"But he will probably fly straight back to Abuja," I replied.

"It doesn't hurt to try," he retorted.

I got up with a new sense of determination, and dressed up in a hurry. "You're right. I am going to give it this one, last shot."

"