Night

Idea for this story from: sj022002

*Ruby's P.O.V*

I sighed as I shut down my laptop, getting up from my chair. I grabbed my schedule from the printer, looking it over before putting it in my satchel bag. "Can't wait to go school after a year off from responsibilities," I stated sarcastically to myself. I looked at the time, groaning when I saw how late it was. It wasn't really late by adult standards seeing as it was only 11:23 p.m and even though I was 19 years old, I still had a 'bedtime'. It was a time I gave myself so that I wouldn't stay up all night when I had college the next day.

I turned my light off, thankful to have a nightlight in my room. I was not going to be grabbed by a monster hiding in my bed or closet because my light was off. I mean someone could also break in and murder me but I feel like the monsters were a more likely thing that could happen. With my nightlight I could at least see what was going to kill me because I hated surprises so a surprise death that didn't sound fun.

I padded over to my bed and climbed onto it, flopping down on my side. I could hear the television playing downstairs which indicated that they were still up and watching the news. They always stayed up late to watch the weather and then they would come upstairs and go to bed. It was their nightly routine that they had been doing since before I was born and they had yet to change it up. I pulled my blanket up and wriggled to get comfortable, leaving half of my body exposed from the covers.

"Mmm can't wait to be overwhelmed with school work," I muttered as I grabbed my phone off of my nightstand and plugged it in before putting my phone on the floor. I cuddled into my pillow, closing my eyes. It took me a little to get comfortable but once I did I fell asleep rather quickly.

I woke up hearing something and laid there quietly, keeping my breathing even. I opened my eyes slowly and stared at the shadows on my wall. I felt my breath catch in my throat as I noticed the shadow of a person's head and there seemed to be horns poking out. I made my breathing go back to being even as I felt my mind race.

'This has to be a dream,' I thought as I tried to subtly shift over to the side. I noticed that I couldn't move even when I tried to roll over. This had to be some sort of sleep paralysis or a really bad nightmare. I tried to move again but my body stayed stuck in place.

"What is this human's name?" a woman's voice said. I felt something grab a strand of my hair, playing with it gently.

"Ruby King your majesty," a man replied, making a noise of shock sound in my throat but no sound came out. The hand stopped playing my hair and grabbed the back of my necklace, tugging on it. The person grabbed the cross on my necklace with an audible noise of anger.

"Why in the Hell is she wearing this?" the woman asked and there was a tug on my necklace causing it to break. "Get rid of this now, I want there to be no evidence of her wearing a cross and make sure that she never wears one again," the woman stated.

"Of course your majesty," the man replied. "Why is she even wearing a cross? Her file says she is Agnostic," he stated.

"I don't know and I don't care," the woman replied as she scoffed. "What do her parent's files say?" she asked as I felt my hair being pulled back and then tied up. "And why is her hair purple?" she questioned.

"It says that one is a practitioner of witchcraft and that the other is an Atheist," the man stated. "I assume she dyed it, it's something young humans do to express themselves," he said.

"Well it'd be cuter if it wasn't so dark at the bottom of her hair but it's a cuteish ombre color," the woman stated as the hand that had been messing with my hair grabbed my arm gently and turned me over. I found that I now couldn't open my eyes, not even a little bit. The hand moved from my arm to my face and it gently cupped my face. "She has a nice facial structure yes?" she asked.

"I....yes," the man agreed, his tone sounding slightly off. "I don't really know if it's my place to judge her though," he stated.

"Well this one time I am allowing you to have an opinion and I'm allowing you to judge her," the woman stated. "You can go now," she stated and there was a quiet pop before I heard her sigh. "What am I going to do with you?" she questioned as I felt what I assumed was her hand, squeeze my shoulder gently.

I tried to open my eyes or even to move slightly but I found it impossible to do. I tried to speak but I couldn't even make a noise. Nothing I tried to do worked and I eventually gave up, feeling my body relax slightly.

"I can not allow myself to have you as my mate, you're just a human," she said as she moved her hand off of my shoulder. "I will not accept you as my mate," she stated as I felt her nails gently run across my face. "Goodbye my love, for now and forever," she murmured as I felt her lips touch my cheek. My head felt heavy and then I could hear my alarm going off making my body jerk up involuntarily. I opened my eyes and looked around my room, my chest heaving as I looked around. I hit my alarm's button after a few tries and licked my dry lips.

"What the hell just happened?" I asked as I reached up, trying to feel my necklace. It was gone and I couldn't see it when I looked around my room. "That was....that was weird," I muttered as I swung my legs off of my bed and got off the bed, walking over to my vanity. I looked at myself in the mirror and noticed some scratch marks on my face where the woman's nails had ran across. "Um...I think we're going to need an exorcist," I muttered as I shook my head.

"Ruby, are you up yet?" I heard my mother call from downstairs making me shake my head as I bit my bottom lip.

"Yeah, I'm up," I called back as I sighed softly. "I shouldn't have played around with that Ouija board the other night," I muttered as I grabbed my clothes, changing into them. I went from a pair of flannel pajama pants and a cut up t-shirt to a pair of jeans and a black top that read 'The world has bigger problems than boys who kiss boys, and girls who kiss girls'. I slipped on a pair of flip flops even though it would only be like 25 degrees Fahrenheit outside. "I'll deal with this possessed room when I get back," I muttered as I grabbed my satchel bag and looked back around my room before leaving.

25 degrees Fahrenheit is -3.88889 degrees Celsius for those of you that use the better measurement system.