Chapter 21: Finding

I apologize that this final chapter is rather short. 

My only note here is the dress on the side, to give you a visual when it comes up. The woman wearing it does not necessarily portray the woman in the story, though she is close! 

As usual, please vote/comment some feedback and thoughts for me! I love hearing from you guys!

Read onward! :) 

Dana

        I guess I'm right back where I started now, aren't I?

       Before, I was out searching for different things. Medicine for Dad, food for us all, a way to improve our lives. Now I'm here again, though I'm searching for something else. I'm searching for someone who I feel like I can trust, a proper place to take shelter, a way to fix everything that's broken.

        Walking away from Zayn like that, telling him that I hate him... It's one of the hardest things I think I may have ever done in my life.

          The really sick thing is that I think I'm still head over heels for him. When I told him I fell for him, that was only a fraction of it. I practically fell off a skyscraper, and just when I thought he'd be at the bottom to catch me, I hit the cement.

       I feel foolish now, actually. Telling Zayn I hated him was only partly true. I can't hate him completely, never . But it was the only way to get him to leave me alone.

          The change that I threw at him wasn't all my money, thank goodness, but it leaves me with less than I had before. I still haven't spent any money since finding Ben and Dad, but now I don't even care. I'm starving, and I'm going to go get some food in a vain attempt to take everything off my mind.

          I slowly make my way out of the threads of alley passages and merge into the crowd of bustling people once more. Before I know it, I find myself right back where I was earlier in the day, at Marcel's Makings.

           When I enter the bakery, the overwhelming smell of sugary sweets engulfs me, and I can't help but inhale deeply. There aren't many people in the bakery at the time, but Marcel is standing behind the counter in all his glory, humming a tune in his deep voice as he frosts a small cake. 

              "Um, hello?" I say cautiously, and Marcel instantly looks up. 

         The cheery smile on his face vanishes for a moment, surprise filling it instead. "Dana?" He gapes, setting down his icing cone and wiping off his hands. "Is that really you?" 

             Ben must've told him that I'd been missing, otherwise I'm not sure why he'd be so surprised. But as his expression begins to slowly shape itself back into the smile it had before, I can't help but feel mine form into one as well. 

            "Your brother's been searching all over for you, you know," Marcel says as he engulfs me in a warm hug.

            I can't help but return the hug. After leaving Ben, Dad, Zayn, and the rest of the boys behind, I feel as if Marcel is almost all that's left. I never even got to know him that well before, but he's the closest thing to family now. 

          "I know," I mumble in response. "But things have happened in the past few months Marcel... Things that leave me completely alone." 

           Marcel pulls back and frowns down at me slightly. "Tell me about it Dana," he says kindly, leading me over to sit at an empty table with him. "Everyone always feels better after they tell everything to someone." 

             Though I don't know if I want to talk about it, before I know what's happening, words are rushing from my mouth like a flood. I tell Marcel everything, about being taken in by Zayn and the boys, being told all these lies, discovering the truth and running away, and finally fighting with Ben and Dad.