chapter eight

It was really happening.

Mawra stared at herself in the mirror with a blank face. In a few hours, she was going to be someone's wife and the thought has left her numb and anxious. She was yet to wear her jewellery and makeup, but the feeling of getting married in a few hours has gotten into her head only just now after getting dressed in gorgeous bridal attire.

The past few weeks felt like a dream. It all happened way too quickly and now, it looked like she was having second thoughts. Or was it just the wedding jitters? It was definitely not a good feeling though. Her hands shivered as she processed everything.

Was she doing the right thing?

Will she be able to do this?

What will the office staffs say when they get to know about their marriage?

Will Ibrahim be a good husband to her?

Questions like this kept arising in her mind, and she kicked all her cousins out to have some alone time before they'd doll her up. The bathroom door twisted on its own, making her snap out of her thoughts.

"What are you doing here? Didn't I ask you all to leave?" Mahira looked confused, as she came out of the bath.

"What are you talking about? I was in the bathroom the whole time. And where are all those girls and why are you not getting ready?" her sister questioned her curiously, whilst drying the hair.

"I asked them all to leave. You can leave too, I need some alone time." Mawra sighed as she fidgeted with her fingers anxiously. Mahira's face softened at that, as she threw the towel away and came forward to her sister.

Placing one hand on her shoulders, Mahira asked, "are you okay?" Mawra looked up at her with a nervous face and shook her head in no, "can you do me a favour?" her sister nodded in yes almost immediately.

"Please call Ibrahim for me." Mahira's eyes widened at her demand. "Please," she added in a desperate voice making her sister sigh.

They were all in a private hotel owned by the close friend of Ibrahim. And Mawra stayed on the second floor, while Ibrahim on the fifth. The families strictly made sure that the two of them didn't meet during the whole pre-wedding rituals and customs. And she knew how difficult of a task it is going to be for Mahira to bring Ibrahim down here, but she needed to talk with him.

It is a rule to not meet before marriage, but it was very urgent and important for her to talk with him before everything and as if sensing the desperateness, her sister agreed to do the task.

"Thank you so much, Mahi." Mawra sighed in relief.

"It's okay. You're going to leave us anyway. Let me help you one last time." Mahira joked playfully not knowing what impact it made on her sister, seeing the tears in Mawra's eyes have panicked her.

"Hey, I was only joking." Mahira exclaimed in worry, which was cut off by her sister, "please call him, Mahi. I want to talk with him. Like, right now."

Without saying another word Mahira left from there and twenty minutes later on, there was a knock at the door. Mawra was still staring at herself in the mirror, with those constant questions running in her mind.

Before she could get up, the door opened on its own and her breath hitched for a second as she gawked at the man in front of her, who's going to be so much more in just a few hours. He was already dressed up and looked dashing as ever. His cologne fills her room taking her in a daze.

Ibrahim stared at her worryingly, as he locked the door; praying to Allah that their parents shouldn't catch them like this. It was a strict rule to not meet before the marriage, but he sensed this was very important lest Mawra wouldn't have called him here in the first place.