XXXVI. His own constellation.

Okay, before I get started, can I just state Wick was actually singing the Bottles of Beer song and I had no idea! I literally freaked out when I heard him sing it!

Anyway, sorry for the delay... I blame Netflix and being sick.

Bold= Swedish.

T H I R T Y   S I X | HIS OWN CONSTELLATION

He couldn't remember a time where he felt so cold. Even with the layers of clothing he wore, goosebumps rose on his arms as the bitter air nipped at his skin. But at least there was air, he reminded himself.

It was so dark, too. Kane was used to the the two of extremes of dimly lit rooms or bright, florescent spaces, never pitch black though. He walked slowly through the hall, unaware of any obstacles that may block his path. He squinted in the hopes it would help him see, but it was to no avail. He was still only stumbling around in the dark.

"Hello? Is anybody there?" He called out, eager for someone, anyone, to answer. The aggressive flashing of sparks from broken wires supplied the smallest fraction of light for Kane as he continued to follow the hall down. Just then, his foot kicked something and he bent down to inspect it; a flashlight. He turned it on and began to light up his path, also hoping to light up anyone that had managed to survive the cripple of the Ark's system.

A slight murmuring in the distance caught Kane's attention and he frowned, straining to make out what the murmuring was. "Hello?"

"Fifty-six bottles of beer on the wall..." It was slurred and distanced but Kane heard it as clear as day and his eyes widened. He knew that song. It was what Carter was constantly singing-- the song Mia's father taught her. Kane picked up his pace, as did his heard, as he followed the voice. The closer he got, the more coherent the song became and Kane's heart did a flip when he came to realize he wasn't imagining it. "... take one down, pass it around..."

As the councillor rounded a corner his eyes fell on to what could only be described as a half-deluded man his his head resting against his chest and his arm wedged between the automatic doors. It took him a while, but Kane soon realized he recognized the man.

"Fifty-five bottles of beer on the wall, fifty-five bottles of beer," Kane knelt down beside the man, who apparently had either decided to ignore his presence or was completely oblivious. "Take one down, pass it around-"

"-Hey, Hey can you hear me?" Kane placed an arm gently on the man's shoulder, snapping him out of whatever deluded state he had managed to conjure.

"What do you want?" The man rushed out, flinching away from Kane. He looked up and blinked several times before recognizing the Councillor who was before him and he quickly added, "Councillor, sir."

"It's Wick isn't it?" Kane uttered, finally putting a name to the face. "From engineering, you were in Carter's division and Sinclaire's apprentice."

"Yeah--yeah, he had me come down here to overwrite the containment codes, to keep the doors open," Wick gestured vaguely to the door his arm was currently jammed in. "Don't tell him I messed up."

"Hey," Kane objected, the smallest of smiles on his face. "You didn't mess up. We need to get your arm free." Kane stood up and began to put all of his weight and strength into budging the doors.

"Yeah, let's- let's do that... that's a good idea." Wick breathed, his body relaxed as he was finally being rescued after being stuck for what felt like a life time. "So, you're Carter's old man then, huh? I bet she's a pain in the ass to live with, she sure as hell is one at work. Always finding something to argue about..." The younger man tried to make a conversation to fill the silence.