Chapter 39....

Before I knew it was time to head back home. Knox and Olivia needed to head back to get their store back open and I had to get back to finish my project for my promotion. As much as I wanted to stay I knew I couldn't.

Being back home was exactly what I needed. I needed to come back to face my fears as cheesy as it sounded. In a way this brief visit back helped me heal.

"Come back soon okay?" My mom sniffed as she pulled me into the 10th hug since we came downstairs.

"I will, I promise." I already made a promise that I would come to visit more often. I couldn't go that long again without coming home.

"Let me know when you get home. Be careful of the roads with the snow." My moms inner worry wart coming out. Pulling away I smiled.

"I will."

I let mom attached herself to Olivia next as I moved towards Jackson. I pulled my dufus of a big brother into a hug.

"Be good."

"I'm always good." He scoffed when he pulled away. I sent him a look. "You be good as well. Don't try and run Knox off...you guys are perfect together." Before I would have made some snarky remark but this time I didn't. Instead I smiled.

"I won't this time." And I meant it. "Let me know if you come to Burlington we can get something to eat, and maybe bring your boyfriend." I raised my eyebrows at him, giving him a hint.

"I will." He laughed but I caught the little twinkle in his eye that appeared at the mention of his boyfriend.

Knox and Jackson said their goodbyes, promising to stay in touch and Knox even told Jackson to let him know when the next football game was so he could come watch. When Jackson and Olivia hugged he whispered something in her ear that made her grin. I shook my head at the pair. Yep, they were now best friends.

It took everything in me not to cry as we got in Knox's truck. Even though I had told Lucas, Annie and the girls bye last night I already missed them.

I waved to my mom and brother through the front windshield until they disappeared from view. My chest ached at leaving but this time I wasn't going to be gone for almost year. I wiped a stray tear from my cheek as a hand grasped mine. I looked over at Knox who sent me a small smile.

I squeezed his hand back as we pulled into the freeway to go home.

The closer we got to Burlington the more nervous I became. As soon as Knox dropped me off at my apartment our deal was over. I didn't know if that meant Knox and Olivia would leave and I wouldn't see them again. This could very well be the last time I saw them. The thought of not seeing Knox again made my heart clench.

What happened this weekend could have just been a fleeting moment. All caught up in the Christmas spirit and now that we are back to reality things would go back to how they were. As much as it pained me to think those things I did have to be realistic.

I couldn't expect Knox to feel anything for me after a few days. If he wanted to never see me again after he dropped me off I would respect his wishes. I would give him the two grand I promised and we'd go our separate ways. I would stick to the deal if that is what he wants.

There was no part of me that wanted that. I didn't want him to disappear from my life. The last few days have been amazing. So much has changed in just a matter of days and I had Knox to thank for that.

I wanted to see if things between us could go somewhere. If this fake relationship could really be more than just that. That he wasn't just my boyfriend for christmas. But it was too damn scary to ask him. I didn't want to hear him say it was just a momentary thing and be on his way. I wasn't sure I could handle that.