Chapter 32: Lost

"Damian, why is your suit's tracker-"

"I do not wish to speak to anyone at the moment father." Damian ripped the comm out of his ear and threw it across the room that held the pit. The three kwamis, Plagg, Kalki and Tikki, all sat on Damian's shoulders, but they were quiet, which was both rare and strange, but Damian ignored them. He held Marinette's head in his lap, and held one of her hands, and just let his thoughts carry him away, without a care in the world about time. He had cried earlier until he could no more, and he's been by her side for hours.

"Hey kid?" Plagg flew over in front of Damian's face and waved his paws. "You haven't eaten or drank anything in quite a while. Maybe you should-"

"No, Plagg. I'm going to stay here until she wakes up." Plagg inhaled deeply.

"Damian, she's not coming back properly. She's also the holder of the Ladybug Miraculous so the pit-"

"The pit never fails, plagg. Why did I not feel my throat tearing as well? Why did I not feel her pain this time?" The cat sighed and played with his tail.

"Kid, the pit, or rather, this one, has lost the power to bring someone back to life. I know because I created them, so long ago, I barely remember it happening. But she's a Ladybug, and this eats away at every bit of humanity. Imagine what would happen if the Goddess of creation were infected with it? And she'll stay in a comatose state without the earrings. Tikki is not meant to mess with this stuff. That's why our kitten is gone, kid. And since you are here to witness this, it would make you the guardian since you were the only one who she trusted with a miraculous. As for why you didn't feel it, I don't know enough about soulmates, that's more Tikki's strong suit, but I think she didn't want you to feel it." Damian sniffled and scowled at the cat.

"Then we take off the earrings before they can do any damage. I don't want any part of this, and I just want her back. None of this atrocity with it." Plagg facepalmed, but watched as his charge removed her earrings with care. He rubbed small circles on her cheek with his thumb. "You know, I never did get that custom Robin hoodie you said you wanted to make. Maybe you can show me how to make it when you wake back up. I know you're tired, beloved, but I need you here with me. I know it's a lot to ask, but we need you so much." he hugged her body once again, for a few seconds then froze. "Cat thing. Get down here for a second." Plagg rolled his eyes and flew down.

"Yes, kid? What is it?" 

"Listen. Do you hear that?" Plagg sighed.

"Damian...."

"Plagg, it's a heartbeat. She's back."

"No kid. She's not back. This isn't her anymore. I don't know how to tell you. Marinette isn't Marinette anymore."

"It doesn't matter, I love her for whoever she is. She's back!" Damian clutched her shoulders, and placed two gentle fingers to her pulse. "Why hasn't she woken up yet? Cat. Tell me. Now." Plagg looked at Marinette sadly.

"Kid, when a Ladybug interferes with a pit, the little creative soul that Tikki left in her, is trying to fight off the evil of it, and protect the humanity that dwells inside. Every single time, well, hundreds of times that we have tried to save Ladybug's in this way, they either turned evil, stayed in a comatose state, or died. And Marinette absolutely would not want the first one."

"H-Have they ever woken up from the second one?" Plagg uncomfortably fidgeted.

"Well, at a very old age. You see, it takes time to fend off this boiling destruction attacking her mind as it heals her body. She doesn't know what to do with herself. I don't know what's going to happen, kid, but it won't be good."

****************

"Alfred, I'm almost there. About two hours away from where Marinette's phone was tracked."

"Great, sir. The Dupain Cheng's are heading home. An incident occurred in Paris and Ladybug wasn't able to be there during the attack. Something happened to their shop." Bruce sighed.

"Alright. Make sure they have more than enough funds to-"

"Of course sir. They just regret that they couldn't say bye to Miss Marinette yet." Bruce hummed impatiently.

"I just hope everything is alright. Damian sounded upset over the comms, and he refused to speak to anyone. I'm worried."

"Master Bruce, I assure you that everything will make itself clear. Have a safe flight, sir."

"Thank you Alfred"

****************

"Cat thing, fly ahead and see if Grandfather and Mother are in sight."

"I'm not your slave kid. Chill out." Damian scooped a limp Marinette in his arms.

"I don't care, Plagg. Marinette seems rather delicate at the moment, and I'd hate to have to fight them while she's injured." Plagg huffed.

"I'd fight you if you weren't right. I don't know how long she'll be down for the count. Could be months, could be years. The shortest bug was about nine months." Damian stopped in his tracks.

"She'll be back before that, I know it." Plagg groaned in annoyance, but stayed quiet as they ran through the league's base. Up ahead Plagg turned around.

"Kid, stop!" he was too late. Ra's stood next to Talia, blocking the doorway.

"Talia, please eliminate your disappointment." he spat, Damian felt like he just took a blow to the stomach.

"Damian, hand me the girl. Now." Damian narrowed his eyes.

"Absolutely not, Mother. She is not yours. If anything, she is mine. And I'm not giving her up so easily." Talia rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers. Three guards came out from behind her, ready to grab Marinette, but they were swiftly knocked in the back of the head. Talia turned around, and jumped out of the way before she herself, could be stricken. A familiar gruff, deep voice echoed through the hall.

"Why did you remove your comm, Robin?" Damian scrunched up his nose.

"Batman, I-"

"Where is your mask? Why have you removed it?"

"Batman-"

"What happened to Miss Dupain Cheng? Why is she injured?"

"Now is not the time for this, father! She needs medical help!" Batman growled.

"Fine. Put her in the jet. When we get back to the cave-"

"Father, may I put this in a nice way? I don't care what happens, she needs help." And with that, Damian walked off to the jet that was rumbling. There was a small backseat. He wrapped a blanket around the unconscious girl. "It's alright, Dupain Cheng, I'll protect you until you're ready to continue."