To The New Year

Hawks held a glass of sparkling cider in his hand. He had promised to stay sober for the New Year and not cause a ruckus with your family around. His arm rest on your shoulders, and he would occasionally pull you in to whisper in your ear, or give a quick peck on your temple. In your hands, you held a glass of sparkling cider and the other rest on Hawks' waist.

It was five minutes until the countdown of the new year. Hawks suddenly pulled you in closer to whisper in your ear over the loud shouts of the party you attended with him. He kissed your neck sneakily and you responded in kind by kissing his.

"Are you going to ask what my New Year's resolution is?" He whispered in a voice that seemed almost anxious, as if he wasn't yet ready to tell you just yet.

"Are you ready for me to ask?" You asked in return.

A small huff of laughter escaped his lips and tickled your ear and neck. "It sounds cheesy now that I run it through my head," he whispers back.

He quickly pulls away to respond to a family member of yours that interrupted your moment with him. It was cute to see he had the decency to keep the PDA with you on the low. He returned to whisper in your ear as fast as he left, but his voice was much closer to you and sent shivers down your spine.

"I know it's cheesy and all but... my resolution is to have another year with you just as great as the last. Maybe even better if I play my cards right. I want this to stay my resolution for the following years and the rest of my life."

You felt your cheeks flushed with embarrassment. He was being so bold with his voice that you loved so much whispering into your ear. Despite your reaction, he didn't stop.

"I don't want anyone other than you to spend my life with. I want to sleep by your side and spend as much of my time with you. I want to create so many memories, even the bad ones."

Your heart felt like it was beating fast enough for the both of you. His words were spoken carefully in contrast to your beating heart. It was like his words were spoken slow enough to sink into your mind to embed themselves forever. As if to make you remember the words he spoke that day forever.

"I want to make you feel like no one else can make you feel. I want to be your best friend and greatest lover. I want you to feel the same love I feel for you."

You hid behind your drink but he only lay his head in the curve of your neck. "My resolution is to make you feel loved," he whispered then left a small peck before finally pulling away and watching the party go on.

You looked up at Hawks who had a bright smile on his face. He was enjoying the party as much as everyone else, even if he stuck by your side rather than work the room like the others. His eyes seemed to have caught something from the way an amusing grin crept on his face.

"Look, they're searching for their New Year kiss," Hawks said as he leaned in to you and nodded in the direction of the person in question. You almost cackled seeing a mutual friend of yours and Hawks searching the crowd like a predator for their meal.

You and Hawks spent the remaining time until countdown watching people. He would point out a funny moment and you would both laugh together and try to act inconspicuous if someone almost caught you. You would pull him in to give him a kiss and he would gladly let you.

By countdown, everyone was watching the TV and the lights were turned off. The sound of people counting down in sync overpowered the scurrying of footsteps as they tried to find their New Years kiss. You weren't one of those people. With each number counted, Hawks would pull you in closer until the last five.

5

Hawks turned to you and you could only see him from the glow of the TV screen. He was smiling at you and carefully placed his glass down.

4

He leaned in to whisper in your ear, "The new year is coming soon."

3

"What's your resolution?" He asked in your ear.

2

"Mine is just about to begin..."

1

"You better be ready."

0

The voices exclaiming the New Year were muted the second Hawks' lips met with yours. His hands were pulling you in by your cheeks and he held you in place as he kissed you passionately. Your hand tried desperately to find a place to put down your glass while the other was placed over his. You felt Hawks smile into the kiss and a hand left to help you put down your glass.

He pulled away to say in between kisses, "I love you. My attractive Songbird. Love of my life. I want to spend more years together with you. My Babybird."