Chapter 20

Alyson's stomach clenched as she carried the two children back upstairs. Kai whines softly as if sensing her emotion. She was nervous something wasn't right and it made Alyson's senses tingle. 

Maybe the moon affected her too. Maybe that's why she felt this way. She tried to convince herself but she knew she was just making excuses.

It wasn't like she could march back there and do something anyway, she had a responsibility to watch two children. She couldn't just leave the two of them alone. But damn was she uneasy. 

Alyson sat the two down so they could play on the ground in front of her bed. The two didn't need much attention they kept each other entertained. Alyson sat on her bed chewing her thumbnail trying to ease her anxiousness. 

Now that she thought of it was it the super moon? She was half-were, after all, she may not be able to shift but maybe she still felt the effects.  

Alyson stood up from her bed and when to grab the box of letters on the desk. She'd almost finished them, maybe they could put her mind at ease for a bit. As she reached for the box her eye caught the little star next to the supermoon mark on her calendar.

She scrunched her eyebrows as she read the little words at the bottom of the calendar. 

"A supermoon: the moon appears closer and full for two to three days making the tides much stronger on those days."  

That single sentence left Alyson majorly confused. Two to three days? Did that mean they were going to be out two to three nights?

No, they would've told her if they were going to do that...right? 

Why wouldn't they? She would understand if they needed a few nights to go wolf but then again she isn't able to shift so maybe they didn't think she'd understand?

Alyson shook the thoughts from her mind. Why did she have any reason to doubt them? She was the next Alpha in line. She was important to them..wasn't she?

She did take the place by force. What if none of them wanted her to be their Alpha? What if they're only going along with it because she won the title? She didn't even really want to be Alpha, how could she be anyway when she couldn't even transform into a wolf?

She wasn't good enough to be their Alpha, she didn't know anything about being a were. She'd only learned they existed a few months ago. How could she rule over a whole pack?

Alyson shook her head, she needed to get out of that spiral. 

She won this spot fair and square and she was going to do her best. She grabbed the letterbox and sat back on her bed.

But what if she wasn't right to claim a position like this? She didn't know how to rule people! She barely knew how to keep them in her life. This is her first group of friends, of people who cared, of people who knew her as her and not someone's sister.

But what if she was just supposed to be someone's mate and not have such a strong place of power?

Alyson groaned how'd her brain always take her down such dark paths? Why must she torcher herself like this?

She steeled herself and decided to distract herself with her dad's letters. She grabbed one this one thicker than any of the other letters she'd gotten and they just got thicker and thicker as they went on. There were about ten or so left. She grabbed the notebook she'd been replying to his letters in and placed it next to her.

She opened her letter and saw the neat handwriting of her father.

_-_

My dearest Alyson,