26. Two Weeks to Like the... Hugs

Okay, this was trouble.

It was just a hug. Technically, there was nothing sinister or worrisome about a simple hug.

Only it wasn't just a hug and it was anything but simple. 

Or well, at least it wasn't just about the hug. It was about the fact that I didn't mind this hug. I didn't mind that this hug was lasting a little too long for just a hug. In fact, I wouldn't have minded if this just hug moment lasted a lot longer still.

The way he smelled of freshly washed clothes mixed with mild perfume made me want to bury myself into his neck and refuse to breathe air unless it smelled like him. It was also the way that my heart was beating, not in discomfort or anxiety but in quiet excitement of feeling his body heat increasing mine.

It was also the way I couldn't keep one very troublesome thought from coming into my head.

He fit so perfectly when he was wrapped around me.

"Um," I muttered, trying to stop my heart from spiralling into directions it shouldn't go in.

Noah pulled away as soon as I let out my mumble, hair falling over his forehead as he took a step back. His eyes scanned my face and a small apologetic smile appeared on his lips.

"Sorry. Probably should have asked before I did that," he said, and I instantly shook my head.

"Don't apologize. I li–" I started but it was like my tongue got stuck on the word. Like. I liked hugging him. And if I liked hugging him... "–like hugs. There's nothing quite like them, you know. Hugs, I mean. Yeah, I'm a hugger, that's me. Just all about those hugs and... embraces."

Please, someone, save me from myself.

Why did my mouth have to keep working even when my brain decided to go on shut down? Nothing good ever came of that.

When I was done with my little hug monologue, I took in a deep breath. Oh, crap. There's no way I could get myself out of this now. My eyes stayed focused on the floor and our shoes, afraid to look up at the expression on his face.

This was fine. I was fine. The situation is totally fine. I repeated this in my head a few times, but the silence that stretched out didn't help.

Of course he was silent, you genius. What was he supposed to say when I just explained in great detail my non-existent obsession with hugs?

Letting out a sigh, I decided to rip the bandaid, and peeked up at him through my lashes.

The reason for the silence became obvious when I saw his hand pressing against his mouth, his face stretched so tightly it was clear he was barely holding in his laugh.

Noah let out a choked laugh on an exhale when he removed his hand. Shaking his head, he bent down, placing himself on eye level with me and moved just a fraction closer. Close enough for me to see every shade and sparkle in those mischievous eyes of his.

The almost kiss that happened in my room made an unwanted appearance in my mind.

"You're really freaking cute, Skyler, you know that?"

I gulped. Audibly. His grin just widened and his eyes dipped down to my lips for a fraction of a second. Enough for me to notice and become acutely aware of them. And then, of course, since I was focused on them now, I did the most natural thing. I licked my lips.

His eyes quickly focused back down. His throat bobbed. Something in his eyes changed. A heat radiated from them. His breath coming out a little more ragged than a few seconds ago. Slowly, almost as if it was outside of his conscious control, he leaned closer, closer, closer...