ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 26

Published 12/28/20

Annalise/Ann's POV

𝓣𝓻𝓲𝓰𝓰𝓮𝓻 𝔀𝓪𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰!

I hum as I walk through the castle halls. Prince Marco dismissed me again. I am happy that he dismissed me. I don't have to feel his wandering eyes on me. I continue to walk through the dark empty halls. These parts of the halls, no one dares to go to. It's dark and you can hear the wind outside which makes the halls drafty. The chilly air gives the halls an unsettling aura.

I took this moment of quietness and decided to let my cares go. I smiled to myself as I twirled around the hall. I softly giggled as my dress lifted and spun outward. I gently closed my eyes, feeling free, and content.

But that feeling went away when I heard laughter erupt in the hall. It echoed off the walls. My smile faded, looking around for the source of the sound. I saw a faint flicker of light coming from the end of the hall. I decided to go see what it was. My curiosity got the best of me since no one ever comes to this part of the halls.

I reached the end only to see no one. The light came from a candle that was set on the chest. Where did that sound come from? I thought. I was about to turn back until I heard the sound of laughter erupt again. It seemed to come from the room at the end of the hallway. I grabbed the candle from the chest and took careful yet quiet steps toward the door.

I placed my ear on the door, just to be sure that I heard it coming from this particular room. It seemed to stop. I heard nothing. I slowly grabbed the door handle and turned it. My heart was beating fast and my hands became damp. I give the door a soft push and I am greeted by a dark room. I slowly enter, the only source of light is the candle in my hand. I take further steps into the room. I scan my eyes around. I do not see anything. I turn back only to catch a shadow of a figure in the room. My eyes grew wide as I see the figure moving toward me.

I see another shadow in the corner fade into the darkness. I dismiss it thinking it's my mind playing tricks on me. I look back at the figure moving toward me. They enter into the light from the candle.

It's princess Ayla.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, I detect a hint of nervousness in her voice

"What are you doing here?" She asks, I detect a hint of nervousness in her voice. She occasionally looks back. She notices my attention on the spot behind her and steps to the side to block my view. "I asked you a question."

"Forgive me, Your Highness, but I heard laughter and decided to come see what it was," I say with my head down.

"Alright," she purses her lips. "Come, I have some matters to discuss with you."

She passes me going toward the door. I follow suit.

We reach her chambers and she dismisses the servants besides her lady-in-waiting.

She sits on the edge of her bed and starts to speak. "I know what the servants say about me to you. I am mean. I am selfish and that I was only here for the crown. No doubt you probably think that, but I can say all those accusations are true." She gets up from her bed and walks to me.