Resignation

This is for @alexz-mich3 Thanks for taking your time out to message me ❤️ (Alex is a new writer so check them out :) )

I didn't even try to be discreet. From the way Dr Patel had pulled me aside quietly on Monday, he hadn't told anyone. And he told me to call in sick. So, I went in as normal, waved at the regular people, my heart pounding as I reached the basement.

Sam sneered at me when she saw me and turned her back. Honestly, apart from that tea spilling accident, why did she hate me so much? Even the guards were acting slightly off today, standing more attentively and there were more of them than usual on Malik's floor. Rather than making me feel at ease, it made me feel paranoid.

I quickly fumbled around for some papers I wasn't going to use and headed to the Viewing Room where Malik sat during patient times.

I opened the door hesitantly and peeked in. He was in handcuffs as usual but was that even strong enough to stop him?

Well, it would have to do. I had to get out of here before Dr Patel noticed me.

As I sat down, I noticed Malik's eyes never strayed from mine, in a desperate way I had never felt before. It seemed wild even and the sudden change in his demeanour piqued my curiosity.

"Normally, some might say that you're happy to see me, but today, it seems the opposite?"

"Go", he whispered in anger.

I jerked backwards in shock. He barely ever spoke to me and now he was telling me to go? Go home?

"What are you talking about?"

"You're not supposed to be here", he whispered again, his voice dangerously low.

"What?" I laughed. "Why are you talking now all of a sudden? The cameras are still there?"

It literally didn't make sense. He refused to talk to me and played this whole stupid secrecy game and now he was talking with abandon?

"Listen", he snarled. "You need to go".

I sat back. There was an urgency in his voice that I had never heard before. But should I listen to him, or should I get some answers?

Answers.

"Okay, if you want me to go so badly", I said, scowling. "Answer a few questions of mine. Then I'll 'go'. You don't have a choice".

He glared thoughtfully at me before shrugging.

"I don't care about the cameras anymore and neither do you from the way you're talking now. Do you know anything about Caleb Larom?"

His eyes although bright seemed so dark. He was staring at me with such intensity that I started to feel overwhelmed.

"No", he said.

I scoffed.

"Really? Because something I have says otherwise".

He said nothing.

"He was a little boy, who liked to carry his dad's camera around. And just by chance, he saw something he wasn't supposed to".

He stared at me impassively, giving nothing away. I couldn't tell what he was thinking but I noticed he had come slightly closer than before, his hands clenched tightly and his protruding.

"I went on a wild goose chase from the moment I met you, Malik", I spat. "And now, I have finally come to a conclusion. I had a feeling you were not normal but until I saw that footage, I didn't understand how far from normal you are. There are so many things about you that don't make sense. How you can hear and see things you shouldn't be able to hear and see. How you can take someone down with a simple look. And how, oddly, you have an effect on me".