Reunions

"You look like shit."   "Apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it."

___________________

Mari groans, feeling a throbbing pain in the back of her head. Her hair matted from the stickiness of the dried blood that drizzled from the back of her head to her neck. Before she awoke the wound was worse, but her regeneration abilities kicked in only leaving Mari with only a head ache.

 Opening her eyes she notices that she's tied in a wooden chair. In some sort of unfinished building, that became abandoned. 

"Hello." croaks out the teen.

Two bulky men come out of the shadows, including the one with a missing finger.

"Yeesh what kind of animal did that?" Mari looks at his wound, fully knowing what she did to him. A harsh slap meets her cheek.

"Your lucky Im not going to kill you... yet." He says to her.

cliche much?

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a phone. 

A Woman's voice answers. "Hello dear."

"Mere?" (Mother)

"You look like shit." Her mother  smirks with a poisonous grin. 

How dare she show up after all this time. After she abandoned me.

Mari wants to scream hateful profanities at the cold being that birthed her, but she responds with simple spite. 

"Apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it?" 

Sophie-Her mother- laughs. It's not a happy laugh, not a contagious one. It's the kind that sends chills down her spine. 

"Im surprise you even recognize me, knowing it's been... so long." Sophie drawls out as she traces a finger down her daughters cheek. 

"And whose fault is that! You left me on the streets when I was a child." Mari yelps in fury. 

"I thought you were weak." Sophie states, "But I was wrong." 

The audacity this woman has...

Mari snorts into a fit of laughter, nearly knocking the chair she's tied up in over. 

"You think I care?" Mari laughs, "Why are you here? It's certainly not because you love me." 

"I do love you..."

Mari almost falters for a second. Hearing the one thing she always wanted from her mother. 

"Then we certainly have different definitions of love." Mari hisses "Why did you really come back mother?" She drawls out the last word. "Im curious."

It's clearly not for love. 

Perhaps it's for Bruces money. 

Or maybe more.

"Your abilities within have finally activated." Sophie says. "I was beginning to think that you were more like your father." she states sourly, though Maris, lineage remains un known.

Mari fails to hide the surprise in her eyes. 

"If it weren't for me you wouldn't even have discovered your healing factor." Sophie teases.

"YOU SHOT ME!" Mari screams as she puts the story together.

"Yes and no." Sophie says-"my hitman is out of the picture or- at least in smaller parts." She lets out a laugh at her own pun.

"Your disgusting."

"Like you said yourself, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Sophie smiles with a wolfish grin.