3: Stupid NEPA

Federal University of Lagos, F.U.L — not the catchiest of names when pronounced as a word — however, it's one of the biggest Federal University in Nigeria. It's famous for the bright minds it's produced and infamous for the wayward that either dropout or eventually graduate.

After we graduated High school, unlike my mates, I wanted to stay back a year to learn to sow clothes. I had interest in cutting up and sewing clothes to make replicas of various patterns — sometimes with a slight or numerous difference(s) — and I was lucky to have a mom who's a talented seamstress.

Aside from my parents liking my idea (since it'll be a means to make money while in school), it was also so much easier for me to stay back because even Eric wanted to learn something before going to school. He was interested in graphic designing, which is totally unrelated to his field of study, Medicine and Surgery. He wanted to get a hang of it, also feeling it'll be a helpful skill while in or outside school.

That one year was well-spent, although I wished Mariam had gained admission like the others. She was totally against the idea of Eric staying back a year, not wanting to graduate before him. This caused a huge disagreement between the two — as usual — and it was only resolved when she didn't gain admission.

As much as I was happy that her smart brains couldn't get her into the university with her first trial, I was more disappointed that she'd be staying back to. Eric and I barely got to spend time together. It was either he had to go to his lessons or I had to go to the shop or she needed his attention.

Nevertheless, now that F.U.L has resumed, bye-bye to Mariam who wasn't offered the course of her choice a second time. She was also planning on joining us in F.U.L and had almost made Eric reject his admission this year just to wait for her, if not for common sense, me and his parents.

That Mariam can be devilish. Enemy of progress.

I hiss, causing my mom to look over her shoulder. Quickly, I wear a smile and hug her arm.

“I'm going to miss you guys,” I say with utmost sincerity.

A smile softens her features as she hugs me with her other arm. “We'll all miss you.”

“If they bring the light and nothing is working, call Hassan immediately,” Dad says upon reaching his car.

“Yes, sir.”

“Don't forget to eat o,” Mom tells me.

“Yes, ma.”

“Always lock your door. Even if you're going to the bathroom.”

“Yes, sir.”

“If you like, open your whole body and put the fan on five. It's when cold with catch you...”

I laugh. “I've heard you, mommy.”

They're about to continue with their endless warnings and advice when I stop them. “It's okay o. I've heard.”

My mom laughs while my dad chuckles.

“Anyway, take care of yourself,” mom says and we hug.

“God be with you," dad tells me when it's our turn to hug, though it's briefer.