Poverty

Y/N's POV
I wasn't as humiliated as Zuko was, probably because I didn't actually need to be there, but nevertheless, I was sat with Zuko, Iroh and the ostrich-horse on the dirty streets of an Earth Kingdom town as Iroh begged for spare change.

"Spare coins for weary travellers?"

"Spare change, anyone?"

As a passerby tossed a coin into Iroh's hat, Zuko folded his arms, "this is humiliating! We're royalty! These people should be giving us whatever we want."

Iroh sighed, "they will, if you ask nicely."

I groaned and slouched against the wall, "if you would stop acting like a child we could've just gone to the Air Temple, there's probably plenty growing there, we'd be stocked for weeks."

Before Zuko could retaliate, he was interrupted by Iroh begging, "spare change for a hungry old man?"

The seemingly wealthy woman smiled, "aw, here you go!"

"The coin is appreciated, but not as much as your smile!"

Zuko and I both sunk further back into our seats, cringing at that interaction.

"How about some entertainment in exchange for a gold piece?"

Zuko quickly looked up at him and snapped, "we're not performers."

Iroh placed his hat full of coins down and stood up, "not professional, anyway," before singing, "it's a long long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city they look so pretty!"

The man, however, was obviously not satisfied, "come on, we're talking a gold piece here! Let's see some action," he drew his dual swords, "dance!"

He started to strike the floor as Iroh danced, avoiding the blades, "they kiss so sweet that you really have to meet, the girls from Ba Sing Se!"

I reached for my staff, but quickly noticed Zuko clenching onto his knees, trying to contain his anger.

I shuffled over to him and whispered, "just wait."

The man started laughing, "nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner, here you go!"

As he walked away, Iroh eyed his hat filled with coins, satisfied, "such a kind man."

I stood up and sighed, "I'll be right back."

Night had fallen over the town, and Iroh had fallen asleep as Zuko and I crept away.

"How are we even gonna find him?"

I smirked at him, "don't you worry about that, where do you think I went earlier?"

As we approached the house that I had memorised the route to, I told Zuko to wait outside whilst I checked to see where the man was.

I easily slipped into one of the windows before silently making my way around the house, and much to our luck, the guy we were looking for was just leaving.

I rushed upstairs to climb back out of the window and find Zuko; but he had already realised the situation- he had pulled that blue mask over his face and disarmed the man already.

I pulled the cloth over my mouth and nose, paired with my headband, so that only my eyes were on display.

I jumped down from the roof and swiped my staff under the man who was trying to get up as Zuko picked up the dual swords.

As he crashed backwards, I turned to Zuko who was clearly not going to say a word before leaning closer to the man's face, he trembled in fear as he held out a sack of coins, "just take my money! Please, I don't want to die!"

I scoffed and snatched the money from his hands before jabbing him with the end of my staff and following Zuko away from the deserted street.

We had started staying outside of the town when Zuko started disappearing; eventually, I decided to follow him to see that he had resulted to robbing people for our food and goods.

As he climbed back onto the roof to disappear, he almost jumped out of his skin when he saw me waiting, with my legs crossed, leaning back on my palms.

"Wow, his royal highness has resulted to street theft."

He pulled off his mask and placed his dual swords on his back, before sighing and jumping onto the tree at the edge of the building, climbing down and pacing back towards our cave.

I opened my glider and followed after him before landing beside him, keeping up with his pace, "I was only teasing, I understand- times are hard, you gotta do what you gotta do."

He looked over at me, a hint of sadness behind his eyes, before he was able to ask, I answered him, "I won't tell him, don't worry."

I came with him a few times, making sure to leave the families with animals or children alone- though I was certain that Zuko wasn't stealing from families with children anyway.

I was sat with Zuko in a comfortable silence when Iroh walked over to see his new tea set.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping. But where did you get the money?"

Zuko dodged the question, "do you like your new tea pot?"

"To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup. I know we've had some difficult times lately, we've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honour in poverty."

"There's no honour for me without the avatar."

"Zuko... even if you did capture the avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."

"Then there is no hope at all."

"No, Zuko! You must never give in to despair! Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself- that is the meaning of inner strength."

Zuko pulled away from his uncle and left the cave.

I sighed, looking between them before heading out to clear my head, having an idea myself.

"Uncle, I thought a lot about what you said."

"You did? Good, good."

"It's helped me realise something, we no longer have anything to gain by travelling together. I need to find my own way."

I jumped down from where I was sat on top of the cave, "hey, hey! Wait, Zuko! What are you talking about?"

He paused to look at me for a few seconds longer than what was comfortable, and sighed, "you're... welcome to join me, I suppose."

I looked between him and Iroh before exhaling, "Zuko, I've put a lot of thought into this- it's something I've considered for... a while, you said the avatar won't be killed when you bring him to your father, right?"

He nodded.

"So, why don't you just... bring me to your father, instead? He won't know the difference, he's never seen Aang and the avatar is the last air bender..."

He paused for a moment, looking like he was briefly considering it before he snapped out of his daze and shook his head, "don't be stupid."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I'm being serious! It could-"

"I said no!"

At that, he grabbed his bag and stormed off, "don't bother following me."

I reached out for him before retracting my hand and sighing, Iroh grabbed the ostrich-horse and called after him, "wait!"

And then he left, without another word.