5 | Chariot Ride

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Five
CHARIOT RIDE
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter FiveCHARIOT RIDE└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

Having been through prep wth Neem, Ace, Kai, and Ivy numerous times, it should just be an old routine to survive. But I haven't anticipated the emotional ordeal that awaits me. At some point during the prep, each of them bursts into tears at least twice, and Ivy pretty much keeps up a running whimper throughout the morning. It turns out they really have become attached to me and the idea of my returning to the arena has undone them. Combine that with the fact that by losing me they'll be losing their ticket to all kinds of big social events, and the whole thing becomes unbearable. The idea of being strong for anyone else having never entered their heads, I find myself in the position of having to console them. Since I'm the person going to be slaughtered, this is somewhat annoying.

It's interesting, though, when I think of what Nolan said about the attendant on the train being unhappy about the victors having to fight again. About the people in the Captiol not liking it. I still thinking all of that will be forgotten once the gong sounds, but it's something of a revelation that those in the Captiol feel anything at all about us. They certainly don't have a problem watching children be murdered every year. But maybe they know too mcuh about the victors, especially the ones who are celebrities in the eyes of the Captiol, to forget we're human beings. It's more like watching your own friends die. More like the Games are for those of us in the districts.

By the time Teak shows up, I am irritable and exhausted from comforting the prep team, especially because their constant tears are reminding me of the ones undoutabbly being shed at home. Standing there in my thin robe with my stinging skin and heat, I know I can't bear even one more look of regret.

He must have seen the look on my face as he puts his arm around my shoulder and leads me into lunch. "Don't worry, I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself."

Lunch makes me feel a bit better. Pheasant with a selection of jewel-colored jellies, and tiny version of real vegetables swimming in butter, and potatoes mashed with parsley. For dessert we dip chunks of fruits in a pot of melted chocolate, and Teak has to order a second pot becuase I start just eating the stuff with a spoon.

"So what are we wearing for the opening ceremonies?" I finally ask as I scrape the second pot clean. "Wheat?"  I know the chariot ride will require Nolan and me to be dressed in something grain related.

"Something along that line," he says.

During my first Games I loved Teak, I thought he was an amazing stylist, but after I won he seemed to have changed. Maybe he had orders but ever time I had to come to Captiol he had an outfit that was revealing and I hated it. Not just that but his entire attitude changed towards me. A part of me wondered if he wanted what my patreons got, but can't since he is apart of my team. There's no doubt that the outfit I am to wear is a very revealing dress lined with grain.