16 | Pandora's Box

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Sixteen
PANDORA'S BOX
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter SixteenPANDORA'S BOX└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

A clock. I can almost see the hands ticking around the twelve-sectioned face of the arena. Each hour begins a new horror, a new Gamemaker weapon, and ends the previous. Lightning, blood rain, fog, monkeys — those are the first four hours on the clock. At ten, the wave. I don't know what happens in the other seven, but I know that Wiress is right.

At present, the blood rain's falling and we're on the beach below the monkey segment, far too close to the fog for my liking. Do the various attacks stay within the confines of the jungle? Not necessarily. The wave didn't. If that fog leaches out of the jungle, or the monkeys return...

"Get up," I hear Katniss order, knocking me out of my thoughts. Peeta, Finnick, Nolan, and Johanna awake. "Get up — we have to move." There's enough time, though, to explain the clock theory to them. About Wiress's tick-tocking and how the movements of the invisible hands trigger a deadly force in each setion.

I think she has convinced everyone who's conscious except Johanna, who's naturally opposed to liking anything Katniss suggests. But even she agrees it's better to be safe than sorry.

While the others collect our few possessions and get Beetee back into his jumpsuit, I help Katniss rouse Wiress. She awakes with a panicked "tick, tock!"

"Yes, tick, tock, the arena's a clock. It's a clock, Wiress, you were right," I say. "You were right."

Relief floods her face — I guess because somebody has finally understood what she's known probably from the first tolling of the bells. "Midnight."

"It starts at midnight," Katniss confirms.

A memory struggles to surface in my brain. I see a clock. No, it's a watch, resting in Plutarch Heavensbee's palm. "It starts at midnight," Plutarch said. In retrospect, it's like he was giving me a clue about the arena. I wonder if he gave Katniss the save clue because she seems lost in thought as well.

Wiress nods at the blood rain. "One-thirty," she says.

"Exactly. One-thirty. And at two, a terrible posionous fog begins there," I say, pointing at the nearby jungle. "So we have to move somewhere safe now." She smiles and stands up obediently.

"Are you thirsty?" Katniss hands her the woven bowl and she gulps down about a quart. Finnick gves her the last bit of the bread and she gnaws on it. With the inability to communicate overcome, she's functioning again.

I check my weapons. Katniss ties up the spile and the tube of medicine in the parachute and fixes it to her belt with a vine.

Beetee's stil pretty out of it, but when Peeta tries to lift him, he objects. "Wire," he says.