Nine Years Part 26

Ryan sat there, stunned and upset. From anyone else, he could have ignored the advice, but not when it came from Roman Monte. The urge to defend himself withered as he started to think about why he hated magic so much.

Monte clapped, interrupting Ryan's thoughts.

"Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to offer you a replacement for the capsule that's been destroyed- I've already got people retrieving it- as well as a contract for not going to the news or authorities."

Monte waved his Com-Ring and sent a contract over to Ryan's.

The giant tried to play catch up, reeling from the sudden change in topic, as he flicked his hand to open the contract. Ryan read through it in silence before he looked up in shock.

"An employment contract?"

Ryan looked up at the older man. The contract was generous, stipulating that Ryan would receive twenty thousand credits every month, as well as a new prototype capsule. In return, Mon-Tech received permission to analyze Ryan's brainwaves during stressful gameplay.

On top of a fat signing bonus, which the giant suspected was his "hush money."

When Ryan read between the lines, the contract read like part of a volunteer sleep study. After he went through it twice, the giant only found one mysterious clause.

The diver was required to use the prototype capsule and nothing else when accessing the game.

Once Ryan settled on the clause, he asked, "Why give this to me? What is it about the prototype unit that you're trying to test?" To Ryan, it seemed the contract was too good to be true.

Monte smiled mysteriously, "Just what the contract states. Mon-Tech would like to test the prototype capsule and its effects on non-standard divers." The programmer spread his hands as if he had nothing to hide.

"However, to answer your pertinent question, it's because you gained the First Feat," Monte stared into space, reading his AR lenses before he continued, "Rest assured, you aren't the only recipient. This might be "metagaming," strictly speaking, but let me tell you something."

The older man leaned forward again, "The situation in Frontier Online has shifted. You've already lost your lead."

I've lost my lead? In Strength? Ryan wanted to ask the programmer what he meant.

Monte went to speak again when the receptionist rushed over to Ryan.

"The doctor has arrived, sir. If you'll just come in the back with me..." Experienced with lobby work, the attendant carefully omitted "surgeon" to protect the client's privacy. Few of his stuffy clients wanted their business aired to strangers.

Ryan looked between Monte and the attendant, frowning when the programmer took pity on him.

"I won't keep you from your appointment Ryan, nor will I pry into exactly how my capsule was destroyed..." 

The Titan winced, feeling partly responsible for his brother's actions. 

"However, I will leave the prototype in your home for now, in lieu of a vandalism refund." Monte's voice was amused as he watched the young Titan get shoved out of his chair by the receptionist.

Ryan finished standing, stifling grunts of pain before he could respond to the legend. Monte stood from his seat, straightening his light grey suit, and followed Ryan to the office's sliding doors.

"Either way, I have to use the prototype, and I won't see a single credit if I don't accept." The Titan voiced it as an accusation, bristling even as he shuffled after the impatient receptionist.