Chapter 3

After re-entering my home I immediately called Willow. It was almost 4 p.m and I knew she'd be back home from school at this time around. She picked up after the fourth ring "Hey chica what's up?" She said as a way of greeting "We have new neighbors they're really strange, I mean who comes and visits their neighbor when they've just moved. I didn't even knew that somebody moved here overnight. Guess I have to go there after dinner tonight, no doubt my Mom will make that special apple pie she's crazy about and make me deliver it to them"
"Yum, you're very ungrateful Paigey if I were you, I'd round the corner of their gate and eat the whole pie myself. Would you mind if I came around your house when your mother is making it? I'd really love a slice for myself" she said and I had to laugh "It's not my fault that you have a sweet tooth Willow, anyways I'll save a slice for you" I said
"Deal. You're the best! I'll be there in a bit" she said and hung up. I went upstairs to my room and decided to clean up the mess I made while painting. The walls of my room were painted by Willow and me, the front wall was Lavender and on either side of it they were grey colored it had a dimming effect but that doesn't matter cause every inch of it was covered by our photos from mid school to our recent, which we took at our junior prom. She had a date to it of course her boyfriend of three years Drew Blackthorn, they were so in love and sweet to each other that I felt like gagging whenever I was around the two of them. But really, I was envious of that kind of love and I'm not sure if I'll ever get it or maybe I am destined to be miserable the rest of my life like my parents. As I was walking out of my room there was jiggling of the key at our front door which opened and mom stepped in "Hey honey, I'm back. How was school?" She asked "It was alright" I said nonchalantly afraid that she'd know if I elaborate anything so I changed the subject "You knew our new neighbors arrived yesterday?" I asked her. She glanced at the window and said "Yeah they created an awful racket yesterday I wasn't able to sleep the whole night. And I almost forgot I gotta make the pie. Paige please be a darling and cut the apples in medium sized pieces will you?" "Sure thing, mom" I answered and went about to do the work. When the doorbell rang for the third time today I knew it was Willow even before I opened the door.
"Hiya love, whatchya doin'?"
She asked I showed her the knife and her eyes widened
"Don't let your imagination run wild. I was just dicing the apples"
she closed her eyes and sniffed the air before whining
"I cannot smell the pie."
But before I can reply my Mom beat me to it. Phew crisis averted.
"Hey Willow, how are you today ?"
My mother asked her
"I sure am fantastic Mrs. Callahan. Thank you for asking, unlike my evil friend here who didn't even bother to inquire about my well being. What's happening to teenagers these days?" She said looking disappointed and shaking her head. I scoffed
"Stop with the dramatics already, Will. I'm telling you, you're better off at the Royal Academy Of Dramatic Art your talent is totally wasted here.
She scowled at me
"You know I hate that name, it's a guy's name for God's sake. Do you think I look like a boy ?"
I laughed
"Course not it's mind boggling that you'd even think something like that." She cannot be further away from the truth if anything she's way too gorgeous and also outspoken in a way I can only dream of she's yin to my yang and I always prefer to stay in her shadow as I don't need any kind of attention especially from the trio of mean girls aka Kristin Calloway ; Grace Beaufort and Ashley Roland, the cheerleaders. I know it sounds cliché but it is what it is. Est quodcumque est and the thing I detest the most is that Willow is friends with them, so they don't outright say it but it's evident from their stares and smirks that they think I don't belong neither with them and nor with Willow. To top it all off Grace is Ryan's on again off again girlfriend. Last year they were the prom king and prom queen at the homecoming court. Anyways one wouldn't see the mean streak she has if they aren't in her way cause she behaves oh so innocently and when she decides to show her mean side God save the poor sucker. Like the freshman kid who dared to reveal some dirt on her family in the school newspaper he was ruined by Grace the poor guy did not return after that and had to be homeschooled . But of course I have to keep all this information tucked in my head, Willow knew I didn't get along with the trio so she didn't made me suffer by planning anything together and I'm immensely thankful for her thoughtfulness.
         "Paige dear, the pie is almost ready will y'all take a bite and let me know if it's alright?"
Mom asked from the kitchen.
"It's definitely more than alright Mrs. C, and if  you're not careful I might end up eating the whole thing up"
said Willow with a straight face. But I knew she was full of crap, the girl sucks up to elders and winds them around her fingers so easily I'm extremely envious of her for that among many other things
"Oh Willow, you're the sweetest"
my mother gushed while Willow winked at me and I rolled my eyes at her. We followed mom to the kitchen where she had artfully arranged the pie onto two plates with a slightly larger one on plate next to Willow.
"Hey, that's hardly fair I shouldn't get the smaller section"
I argued and both of them Willow as well as my mom look at me skeptically "Paige, you don't like pies. I know this for a fact, now don't bullshit us and let me eat this piece of heaven in peace" she said and grinned at me
"Oh well whatever"
I said and leaned against the kitchen counter watching her moan and eat the whole pie in just five seconds flat. I'm always amazed at the amount of food she consumes but still remain model thin and I say so to her.
"Oh shut up, I'd kill for your curves girl, you don't appreciate them enough. As amazing as today's day has been I have to be home till seven, so I guess here's my cue to go. Thank you so much Mrs. C for such an amazing treat"
she says and walks towards the front door I assure her that yes I've completed the project and I'll be coming tomorrow to school then she's gone. I come back inside and Mom is wrapping up the pie with a cute little ribbon
"Here's the pie for the neighbors Paige, please give it to them before it turns cold"
I nod and wind my long brown hair into a ponytail to atleast look presentable before carrying the basket. I can see the lights are on in their house, so they're home and there's a Cadillac in their driveway. I buzz the doorbell and after a while Mrs. Grover opens the door looking tired, but she immediately smiles looking at me and the basket
"You needn't have gone to such trouble, Paige but thank you"
she says accepting the basket
"No problem Mrs. Grover, it's our pleasure" I say
"Please call me Patricia, I feel old when you say Mrs. Grover. Oh! Where are my manners! Please come in"
she says I smile politely and agree with her as I enter their foyer, it's decorated with various potted plants and looks quite pretty. Reid and Ethan are in the living room playing a video game, they stop as soon as they see me coming and stand up
"Hey, you're back I thought Reid creeped you out and made you run for the hills"
said Ethan and chuckled
"That's so not cool, Ethan"
Reid complained giving him the side eye. Ethan held up both of his hands "Oops! Sorry bro, from now on, my lips are zipped"
he mimed zipping his lips I was amused by their playful banter
"Boys that's enough you aren't in grade school anymore"
Mrs. Grover admonished them. They both rolled their eyes at her when her back was turned to them and I hid my grin by biting my cheek. It was getting late so I declined Mrs. Grover's offer to have dinner with them and hurried towards my house while I was just slipping inside my house, Reid came around and stood there looking awkward
"I just wanted to thank you for your time and effort, my Mom has been through a lot and you made her smile when all our lame ass efforts failed, I guess I'll see you around..?"
He framed it as a question
" Yes, sure and I'm glad I made her smile, nobody deserves to be unhappy and you don't need to thank me for that, and yeah you'll definitely see me around"
I said and waved him goodbye.