Chapter One - A New Arrival

Chapter Song - Thorn In My Side by Nik Ammar

Droplets of rain glide over the windowpane, racing one another down the raindrop covered window. Their bodies collide to form larger beads as their weight rolls them down the window, the dark dreary of outside creating a dim atmosphere. 

I sit on the window ledge, snuggled up in my sweatpants and grey jumper, half way through reading my book "Killing Eve".  It's quiet in the house tonight, only I am here as my parents are out once again - I swear, my existence to them is minuscule. 

My body is jolted into an alarmed state at the sound of a roaring engine, my eyes darting out my window to see a black motorcycle pulling up into the driveway of the house next door. The house was owned by an old feeble man, friendly but with a stern look that all tried to evade.

 It's hard to see who this person is, but it definitely isn't our typical neighbour. This person is tall, and his shoulders are broad. I watch the dark clothed man walk into the house, the gradual illumination of lights indicating where he travels through the house. A light switches on in the room directly across from mine, startling me as I go to hide behind my curtain, not wanting him to know I was spying. 

Only a few seconds pass as my curiosity gets the better of me, as I peek through the curtain to see the man - his face considerably younger in the light - take off his wet jacket and expose a large monochromatic skull tattoo on his left bicep. He proceeds to take his dampened shirt off to reveal his tan skin, and wow...chiseled six-pack, another tattoo on his right shoulder peaking out. 

As I stare from behind the curtain, I lean a little to far forward and my foot catches on something, making me fall and slip on the pile of books stacked next to me. I stand back up slightly rattled, not noticing the mysterious man now gazing at me through his window. 

As I compose myself I look up to make direct contact with his stern and intimidating eyes, his mouth growing into a smirk as he notices the apples of my cheeks turning red. I panic, and frantically shut my curtains, jump onto my bed, and duck under the covers as I try to recover from my embarrassment. 

I lay within my covers thinking of the mysterious man. I wonder how long he will be here, and a part of me hopes he's here for a while...