Chapter 11: A Midsummer Night's Dream

~•~

"Come on Gwen, Nuwanda, we're gonna miss Neil's entrance." Meeks knocked on the two separate stalls.

"One minute. This dress is proving difficult." Gwendolyn said from inside the stall, the sound of fabric moving about.

"Charlie said something about "getting red" before we left." Pitts supplied.

"Getting red?" Meeks asked, "What does that mean?"

"I—well—you know Charlie."

A small huff annoyance came from the young lady in the stall, "I'm going to end up ripping it." She whined. Then, "Oh, there we go! Got it!" Gwendolyn turned the lock and opened the stall door, revealing her person.

She wore a shorter, cream-coloured dress with pastel pink flowers and light green leaves. The sleeves went around the tops of her shoulders and the skirt just reached past her knee.

"Uh...could someone help with the zipper?" She asked but the group of boys didn't hear her. The had never seen Gwendolyn in formal attire and were struck dumb by her blinding beauty. She had curled her hair and placed a flower clip with a rhinestone ribbon that came from Charlie's package within her curls. Though she didn't have much makeup on, minus a little lipstick, blush and mascara, she still looked like some sort of shining goddess.

Todd noticed his necklace resting comfortably on her collarbone and felt a jolt of warmth spread through him. As he looked at the four gaping boys, he furrowed his brows in confusion. Why were they so surprised? He thought she looked as beautiful as she always did. It didn't make a difference whether she was wearing something as formal as a dress or something as casual as a cotton shirt, she would look stunning nonetheless.

"Hey...anyone?" She waved at the sea of aimless faces. Todd shook his head and obediently went to zip her up.

"Aw Gwen you look so pretty." Knox tilted his head and smiled brightly. Meeks and Pitts nodded mutely in agreement. Cameron blinked a few times and went back to fixing his hair. Todd hummed happily and finished zipping the dress.

Charlie bust open his door and stepped out a smug smirk on his face and a paint brush in his one hand. The smirk vanished from his face when he laid eyes on Gwendolyn, "Whoa Ribbon, you look wonderful, like the goddess of love...uh..." he snapped his fingers, "Athena!"

"You mean Aphrodite." Meeks and Gwendolyn stated at the same time, glancing at each other for a second before beginning to laugh.

"Yeah, yeah whatever."

"So, Charlie, what's this "getting red" bit?" Meeks asked teasingly. Charlie went back to smirking and opened his shirt showing a bright red lightning bolt painted across his chest. Everyone groaned, followed by bouts of laughter.

"What is that?" Todd questioned.

"It's an Indian warrior symbol for virility. Makes me feel potent. Like it can drive girls crazy." Charlie explained.

Gwendolyn pointed to herself, "Well not this girl!"

"Nobody could drive Gwen Keating crazy." Pitts laughed.

"Except maybe one person whose name is Todd Anderson." Charlie flashed a teasing smile at Todd who had turned a nice shade of red, "Besides Ribbon, I could never make you crazy. It'd be weird. You're like a sister to me."