No Way In Hell

After the short drive we arrive at the jet. I stretch my arms and legs as we leave the car and see Rafe emerge from the plane. Acting like it's his own. The moment wouldn't be complete if my brother didn't jump out to go say hey and do their cringey handshake as I roll my eyes. "What's dorks," Sarah scoffs, clearly being playful.

Some nice man comes around and takes my bags, and Sarah's to the plane. "Thank you sir," I thank him. He smiles kindly. I can tell he doesn't get thanked often enough by how grateful and eager he was to smile at me.

Sarah and I rush onto the plane to try and a get seat over the boys but hope is lost when I see their bags in the back. "It's fine, I brought blankets we will just pull the couch out beside them," she tells me.
"Thank gosh, I was not in the mood to listen to our parents discuss politics, and our education or whatever mindless mush they talk about," I joke. Sarah giggles and we head to make our seat up.

***

My eyes blink open and I notice it must have been an hour two that I spent sleeping. My eyes scan around me to see my brother fast asleep, Sarah texting someone; probably Topper, and Rafe staring out the window. Without thinking too much I pull out a book, my favorite; The Notebook. I know, I know it's a cliche and whatever but my dad used to read it to me and my mom when I was little and it just offers too much comfort to let go.

"What are you reading nerd?," I hear as my book is snatched from my unsuspecting hands. "It's a lovely story of a rich girl, and poor boy who are star crossed lovers. It's really ve-" Rafe cuts me off. Of course. "Didn't ask, don't care," he states and hands me back my book. I make sure to clutch it extra tight even though I know he won't grab for it again.

Soon Sarah falls asleep and it's just me, Rafe, and Rose up at the front still awake. Rafe is still looking out the window. I notice his jaw tense. His incredibly sharp jaw that I have never had the time to notice until now. His eyes look like they could stare off and think forever. But what am I thinking? He is probably just mindlessly thinking about the drugs and girls in the Bahamas.

Wouldn't hurt to ask though. "What are you thinking about?" I finally speak. He turns, suddenly aware of my staring. He furrows his eyebrows before answering, like he really has to think about what he says next. After an eternity he replies, "You actually." He looks at me. Suddenly I give him a look, clearly questioning his sanity before he finishes, "Well not you, your family." Oh okay. Much much better than the previous statement but makes more sense. "Your dad," he finally says. Oh.
I scrunch my eyebrows like I'm trying to figure him out but really I just don't know what there is to think about. Pity? I truly hoped I would never see the day Rafe Cameron pitied me. God. Without thinking I scoff and roll my eyes. Asserting my attention back to my book. But I wish I couldn't still feel his gaze on me. It makes me even more angry.