Chapter 67

It happened so suddenly.

Akamai was just pacing around the hallways looking for Brian when suddenly a deafening sound erupted downstairs and blasted Akamai off of her feet and into a wall, knocking the life out of her as her ears screeched and rang in complaint. Akamai's surroundings blurred and the school building imploded as more chaos unraveled into discord and fires began to break out here and there. Akamai closed her eyes.

...Akamai swore she hadn't closed her eyes for long. But when she finally opened them back up again, her surroundings were on fire and the whole place was in shambles in a blazing inferno. It was as if Akamai was transported into another dimension. "The f*ck?" Akamai questioned, having no idea what happened. She rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times, hoping her vision would recover and that she's not hallucinating. It finally stuck her.

Adrienne failed to disarm the bomb.

How Adrienne failed to disarm the bomb didn't matter. What really matters is Brian. Akamai had to make sure Brian was safe. "Brian..." She muttered as she stumbled and staggered about, leaning against the wall for support. "Brian? Brian..! Brian!! BRIAN!" With each word her voice gets louder and louder as a frightening thought etched itself into Akamai's head. Brian was nowhere to be seen.

Her staggering turned to jogging and then it turned into a full on sprint as Akamai rushed down a set of stairs and passed battered doors and wild infernos. Where was the location Brian and Cillian fought in? Where was the location Rin fell to her doom? That's right, a corridor that was close to the school courtyard. It wasn't too far. Akamai made a sudden turn and froze, her red eye widening in horror. She couldn't believe her eyes.

In the midst of the rumble full of scorching heat and dancing flames, a severely injured blonde man sat haplessly against the wall. A dried trail of blood was on his mouth and onto his bloodstained and ripped shirt with his suit draped around him like a blanket. What made Akamai want to bust into tears was seeing his shattered legs beneath large pieces of the wall, cement and bricks. The Yoake and the Schuyler stiletto laid uselessly onto the floor, along with two of Valeska's handguns.

"BRIAN!!!!" Akamai screeched as she rushed over to the injured man. Brian Speller, barely hanging onto his life, moved his head ever so slightly from those weapons to gaze at Akamai, his deep blue eyes devoid of life yet bears so much pain. "Oh f*ck what happened to you?!" Akamai hollered as she collapsed onto her knees to inspect her injured comrade. Akamai pulled away the suit, only to scramble back in horror and let out a blood curdling scream.

"Akamai..?" Brian echoed, looking at her with such a pitiful expression that Akamai felt bad for ever not appreciating Brian's existence enough. It was truly a sorry sight. Akamai felt her heart breaking into a million pieces as she gazed at what his suit jacket was so desperately hiding. Akamai's stomach tied itself into a knot as she turned away and vomited.

Brian's torso was penetrated with dozens of construction steel rods due to the explosion. It was as if a large cement block with those rods fell straight at Brian, who could only get the big chunky cement block out. It was a miracle for Brian to remain living and breathing right now... This isn't good at all. Akamai's vision blurred as she began lifting up the big blocks debris off of Brian's broken legs, piece by piece. "Hey. What are you doing?" Brian questioned, watching Akamai's futile efforts. "To get you out of here of course! What else?!" Akamai choked out, "we're getting outta here together!"

"..." Brian leaned back. "That won't be possible. As each second passes, I can feel myself getting weaker and weaker. I'm dying, and that's okay. Just leave me be Akamai. Go out and escape by yourself." "YOU ABSOLUTE F*CK. I AM NOT GOING TO LEAVE YOU BEHIND!" Akamai screamed. Brian's tired expression darkened.