Family Dinner

Tristful (adj.) deeply yet romantically melancholy.

It's been almost a week since the start of LJ's case, and the team was getting closer to finding out who was trying to kill Leilani. The teacher's son was cleared since he lived across the country. Within a few days, they concluded that the attempt on Lei's life was related to her military service. You could see the stress weighing heavily on Leilani as she threw herself into the story she had decided to write and hadn't talked about much over the week.

"How are you feeling?" Gibbs asked LJ as they watched his team in the house.

"Tired of not knowing who this person is that wants me dead," LJ sighed, "I feel safe with you guys, but I know I'm still in danger. I can't truly enjoy this dinner with your team because of this dude."

"You think he knows where you are, don't you?" Gibbs asked as they heard Tony and Ellie cooking.

"Is that crazy? Is it crazy to feel like he's watching me?" she whispered with fear in her eyes.

"No, I understand the feeling," he smiled sadly, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, and we're not letting your case rest until this guy is at least behind bars."

"You want to kill him like you did the man that killed your first wife and daughter, don't you?" Lei questioned, knowing his answer, "Mom knew."

"A person is trying to kill my daughter. Of course, I do, but I am also a federal agent," Gibbs sighed, "I have to be satisfied with making sure this person spends the rest of their life behind bars."

Lei studied her father's face, looking for a lie, but finding nothing but the truth. Tala had described Gibbs as protective over those he cared about, and she saw it first hand. Gibbs could see that Leilani was studying him and found himself doing the same with her. He wanted to understand how his daughter's mind worked, to get her to open up to him instead of going quiet like she had been all week.

 He wanted to understand how his daughter's mind worked, to get her to open up to him instead of going quiet like she had been all week

"She talks to me, you know," Lei finally admitted as she could see her mother's spirit watching her from behind Gibbs.

"Your mom?" Gibbs asked as LJ took a sip of her tea.

"She says I get the gift of sight from you" LJ smiled a little as Tala admired Gibbs.

"Tala is here, isn't she?" Gibbs asked, catching a familiar scent as a breeze came in from the window.

"Mom will talk to you when she's ready" she smiled as the door opened and the rest of Gibbs' work family came in.

"Of course," Gibbs chuckled, "Hey, guys, glad you could make it."

"And miss meeting your daughter? No way!" Kayla smiled as Vance, and his kids came in with Ducky.

"I recognize you two from photos in your dad's office. Kayla and Jared, right?" LJ smiled, cautiously standing up from the couch.