Did Gibbs Know?

A beautiful feeling, when someone tells you, "I wish I knew you earlier."

The world seemed to halt as Gibbs and LJ stared at each other. You could see the faint resemblance between the two, and Gibbs recognized the caramel eyes staring back at him, but couldn't place why he knew those eyes. Everything seemed to fade away as the room remained silent while Doctor Thaddeus and Ulysses stared at Gibbs and Donahue.

"Doctor, Ulysses, can we have the room please" LJ spoke, staring at the man her mother had told her about before she passed.

"Sure thing, LJ," Ulysses replied, nodding at the doctor as they took steps towards the door.

"Ulysses, can you go to my room and bring my go-bag and wallet that is on the desk, please," LJ asked as her friend reached the door.

"Sounds good, Valda should be here in a few minutes," Ulysses nodded as he glanced back at LJ before leaving.

"That means we have a few minutes to talk before my best friend, well me sister, gets here" LJ spoke, sitting up in her hospital bed with a slight grimace, "Ask your questions."

"Tell me what happened," Gibbs spoke, stepping closer to the bed.

"I start Seal training in a few months, so I was on my usual morning run. Because of how early I run, I run on the street, so I'm easy to see, but this morning something felt off. I always use my headphones to listen to music, so I paused my music to hear what was around me. I could hear a car creeping down the street behind me, but they didn't have their lights on, which told me it wasn't the MPs. I have a pretty good relationship with several of the MPs, so they always drive up next to me to see how I'm doing. Based on where I was on the base, I knew I was coming up on the part of the training grounds that was close to the road. I dove through the thicket onto the trail to try and get away in the woods. I wasn't fast enough, and they shoved me to the ground, which caused me to slide a few feet into a tree. They tried beating me with a nightstick, but I fought back. I could feel myself starting to blackout, so I kicked them in the throat to scare them off, which worked," LJ replied, seeing that Gibbs had questions unrelated to the attack.

"Did you see the attacker's face?" Gibbs asked, trying to ignore the questions he really wanted to ask.

"No. They had a dark hoodie and a dark mask covering their face. Based on weight and build, it was a man, he didn't say anything though," LJ replied, staring off into space, trying to compartmentalize the incident.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" Gibbs finally asked the question burning in the back of his mind.

"LJ!" Valda yelled, sliding into her sister's room before LJ could reply.

"I'm fine, Val," LJ replied, wincing at how loud her best friend yelled.

"You are?" Gibbs asked, drawing Valda's attention to him.

"Umm... Valda Warren, LJ's sister - well, best friend, and you are?" Valda spoke, extending her hand out for a handshake recognizing the man.

"Special Agent Gibbs," he replied, shaking her hand and showing her his credentials.

"Val, can you get the locket out of the pocket of my running tights for me," LJ asked her best friend.

"Can I have you wear gloves? Her clothes and anything that was on Petty Officer Donahue's person is evidence," Gibbs spoke, noticing the look on the young woman's face.

"Yeah, I can do that," Val nodded, grabbing two sets of gloves so that LJ could show Gibbs the photo she always had on her.