Author Interview: A Secret Service by @joymoment

Hello and welcome to Master Adventures! Today our guest is the amazing spy novelist joymoment, author of the "A Secret Service" on Wattpad's epic "Middle-Grade Adventures" Reading List.

About the Story

Carter Owens, daughter of a Secret Service agent, is trained to disassemble any weapon, any situation, and anyone. Her biting sarcasm and razor-sharp mind make her impossible to beat in a word fight and when talking doesn't work, she uses her fists. She attends Hamilton Prep, Washington D.C.'s most prestigious high school, where everyone is related to someone in power, except her.

When Hamilton Prep receives a flood of new students, Carter's role as social outcast changes when she makes two unexpected friends. Friends who are hiding a secret. As Carter uncovers the truth, she confronts challenges she is unequipped to handle and finds herself in a dangerous situation.

For a girl trained to see everything, Carter never saw this coming.

Questions for our Author

Is Action-Adventure what you normally gravitate to in your writing? What is your favorite genre to read and write? What about age range?

I love writing action, so I write it as much as I can. But a majority of my books do not contain action in them.

My favorite genre to read is fantasy. I love the beauty of a perfectly created world.

I don't have a favorite genre to write in. I love mixing it up, it keeps me excited about writing. Currently, I've written Teen Fiction, Fantasy, Dystopian, Sci-Fi, Humor, and Romance.

The age range for my characters are always between 16-18. My oldest character was 21.

As for the age range of my readers, a majority are between early teens to late twenties. But I've had the honor of a sixty-year-old war veteran reading my books and I think that's one of the best things ever!

What inspired this particular story?

I was reading Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series - a series about an all-girls spy school - and realized I wanted to write something like that but with a bit of a more realistic bend to it. Along with that thought came the question: what if a girl went to school with the President's son but didn't fall for him? The idea snowballed from there.

What do you like most about your character, Carter? Is she based on a real-life person?

I love the fact that she's not afraid to speak her mind. Yeah, she can be blunt but in a world where everyone is scared to be real, she's very real.

She's a mix of a couple of people. My sister's observant skill. We'd be at a track meet and she'd know something about everyone there. A little of my brashness. My mom's confident personality. But mostly she's her own person.