Author Interview: Venture to Uncertainty by @tarishannon18

Today we are interviewing the author of Venture to Uncertainty, a historical pirate adventure written by tarishannon18!

About the story

It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this:

First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wicked ways. Second, trick the ship's cunning strategist, famous for winning every game she's ever played, into believing a delicately spun lie. Third, get close enough to their tyrant king to put a knife through him.

Deadly doesn't quite describe such a plan. In fact, inconceivable may be the better word. But Archer Kingsley has a knack for such things, and he feels he's going to pull off this plan with the ease he does most everything. Perhaps he's not quite aware of the absolute hell that's about to break loose, but truthfully, it's so much better that way.

Because true adventures are born from uncertainty.

Questions for our author

You have written 5 stories, what drew you to adventure? Do you have a favorite genre to read and write in?

I don't tend to be picky about genres, but I do have a habit of gravitating towards certain themes like moral dilemmas. I find that many of those themes are discussed at great length in adventure novels, since characters are often thrown into unusual circumstances and forced to make quick decisions. I also really love how the intense movement and action beats of adventure stories give contrast to calmer moments, which make them all the more special. Lastly, I've always struggled to focus on long projects like reading or writing a book, so anything with a lot of stimulation–like a big sea adventure with lots of fight scenes–is most likely to maintain my attention.

 Is writing something you've always been interested in?

I've been a longtime writer, but it wasn't always creatively. I started out writing mostly lab reports and papers, where everything had a rule and proper way to be organized. While I'm incredibly grateful for the academic background that's given me a foundation to build on, I was able to fall in love with creative writing just a few years ago, and that's where I belong.

When writing, what do you typically begin with? Character planning, plot planning, story structure etc.

I tend to start with characters, but not always. The only way I can keep focus on one story at a time is if I allow it to take up my entire mental space. That means no writing down anything at all–even lists or details–until I know exactly what I want. I settle for simply thinking and working things out over a period of weeks or months. Usually I distinguish a few notable characters because it's much easier for me to work out what they would do if I understand them entirely. Then I just...think, starting with big things like themes and messages. What kinds of interactions I want and how I want to portray them, mostly. When I'm done with the thinking, I usually end up writing the whole story within a few weeks, which makes the process seem quick, but there's really a lot of time behind it.

Do real-life people, places, or incidents contribute to your writing?

Absolutely. Most of my characters, themes and interactions are based on real-life circumstance. I often weave in information on topics I'm interested or educated in, like psychology and physics, too. In fact, I've written entire books on the basis of one interaction. Sometimes that interaction doesn't really end up being a pivotal part of the story, but it inspired it all the same.

When writing Venture to Uncertainty did you plan for the story to be in the adventure genre and a series?

I forced this series into the adventure genre. I really wanted the story to be deep-rooted in practical science and psychology, so I attempted to steer clear of the fantasy world where regular rules don't apply. Instead, I placed the books in an alternate reality of something like 1820s Carribean. That way, I had a timeline of inventions or events I could follow, but I still had a lot of creative freedom. It was always going to be a big adventure, but that was the reason it didn't turn into a fantasy epic. In terms of the series, it was originally supposed to be a duology, but I ended up needing some more space, so it turned into a trilogy with a prequel.

When writing Venture to Uncertainty, or any other of your stories, did you ever experience writers block? If so, what did you do cure it?

I am one of the very few writers that has never experience writer's block, but it's more of a preventative tactic than just luck. Since I don't allow myself to write actual words until the whole story is planned out in my head, I'm too excited to get the story out to even think of stopping once I do start writing–so much so that major chunks of my stories are often written in one night, which is usually when I get the urge to write. I have a really good memory, so while it works great for me, I know it's a bit of an odd approach. However, I do think the concept of working things out before truly getting to write could be applied to everyone.

What tip would you give to authors who are exploring Adventure as a genre to write in?

Don't be afraid to write out of order! Since adventure stories often have a lot of high-energy spots followed by low-energy spots, your inclination to write one or the other can vary by the day. If I was in the mood to write something super exciting with lots of movement, then I'd do that–but I never force myself to, because then it wouldn't come out quite right. Instead, I'd write a calmer chapter or chunk of the story. I never worry about how cohesive it's going to be because that's an editing-me problem that is always much easier to solve than I anticipate.

Thank you for tuning in! You have read Master Adventurers. Stay tuned for our next author!