Part 22

(Alex's POV)

Slamming my fists down on the table I can't help but let my frustration out, "Where the hell is she?" Running my fingers through my already mussed up hair I stare down at the map in front of me searching desperately for an area that we've missed.

It's been 16 hours and the trail has gone cold. I was able to follow her scent north as far as the river but then it disappeared, never materialising on the other side though I've searched for miles in either direction.

"This wasn't an opportunistic attack." Jake says from across the table. "This was well thought out, planned and executed to perfection, from the false border issue to the text from Jess, which means whoever did this had a very clear reason for taking her. They obviously don't just want her dead or they could've done that there and then in the forest."

My jaw clenches and Firenz whimpers within me at the thought of Em's lifeless body but Jake continues on.

"I think they're holding her somewhere in the hopes of blackmailing you over her safety. Which means they won't have gone too far. He points at the river. If they deliberately used the river as a way to wash away her scent then logically they either went south with the current or swam north. South makes more logical sense but then it starts to take them west" he indicates the curve of the river on the map, "and away from our territory. If they want to be within reach of us in order to establish contact for the blackmail it's a long way to go back and forth. I think, although less logical, they would've gone north and skirted around our boundaries but stayed close by.

Jake's reasoning makes sense and at least gives me a new sense of direction and purpose. But just as I'm about to mindlink everyone to focus our efforts further north of the river, an outlying scout mindlinks me.

His voice is full of fear, "Alpha Alex I have a message for you from the man who holds your Luna." His words tremble. It's clear he is being forced to do this communication against his will. "If you want to see your Luna alive then you will do as he says. You will come to the Crescent Moon temple tonight at midnight. You will come alone. If my men see any of yours cross the boundary to leave your own territory, your Luna will pay the price."

I wait tense to hear more but nothing else follows. I try to mind link the pack scout back but can't get through. Something tells me he's already dead but still I mindlink the other scouts and instruct them to search.

Glancing at Jake I relay the message that's just been sent. I've not even finished speaking before Jake is shaking his head, "Absolutely no way you're going alone." He's straight over to the map and scanning the area around the Crescent moon temple. "If we go early we can take cover here and be in place..."

"Jake"

"...we might even see their approach and.."

"Jake"

"Be able to figure out where..."

"Jake, stop. I'm going alone and that's it. I won't risk Em, you know that. I want you and the generals waiting on the boundary edge so you can be there in minutes if I need you but you won't cross that line unless I order it. No matter what, do you understand?" I fuse my statement with every ounce of Alpha command I have.

And although I can see by Jake's clenched jaw that he wants to argue against it he has no choice but to nod.

I breathe out a slight sigh of relief. I love Jake like a brother but he can be hotheaded and the last thing I need is any potential recklessness putting Em in further danger.

The thought of where Em is now and what they might be doing to her has me collapsing back into my seat with a groan. For the millionth time Firenz tries to mindlink her and gets nothing. Just an endless dark silence. Logically I know that I can't mindlink her because the bond isn't complete but it doesn't stop me from constantly trying. Glancing at the clock I still have hours to kill, which might mean hours more torture for Em. My head drops into my hands and I pull at my hair in frustration.

"Come on" Jake says, slapping me on the back, "Let's hit the gym. There's nothing else you can do right now and you need to punch some things. We can discuss possible scenarios and solutions as we work."

So with a sigh I stand up and follow him out the room, glancing at the clock once more. 5 hours and 23 minutes until I can get my girl back. And then whoever this bastard is that's taken her, better run like hell.