Chapter 1- Manhattan, New York 2005

I sit by myself in my room while I made a set of toy blocks float around in circles

I sit by myself in my room while I made a set of toy blocks float around in circles. I had been depressed all morning after another family had rejected me. They kind of freaked out when they saw me using my power after getting excited about being adopted. Let's just say a toy car flew across the room and the mom and dad that were planning to adopt me said they had changed their minds and quickly left the foster facility.

I started crying and ran up to my room. It was almost dinner time and I still hadn't left my room. I skipped lunch and Ms. Susie, my caregiver, was starting to get worried and came into my room to check in on me.

"Kaitlyn, dinner is almost ready if you want to come down stairs." Ms. Susie says. Ms. Susie was a young, pretty woman with strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes and was in her early thirties.

I didn't answer her and the blocks kept floating in the air

I didn't answer her and the blocks kept floating in the air. "Kaitlyn."

The blocks suddenly fall onto the table I was sitting at and I turned to look at Ms. Susie. My eyes were red from crying. Ms. Susie gives me a sad look and kneels down next to me. "Oh, sweetie, I know how much you wanted to get adopted today but you need to learn how to control your powers."

"I'm trying! But it's so hard. My head hurts and every time I get excited or mad things are always moving." I sniffled.

"I know. Which is why you need to try a little harder next time. Try to calm down and concentrate." Ms. Susie says.

"It's not fair! All the other kids are getting adopted. No one wants me." I say, my bottom lip quivering.

"That's not true. You will get adopted. It just wasn't the right family." Ms. Susie says.

"Bobby is right, I am a freak." I say.

"You are not a freak. Bobby told you that?" Ms. Susie asks.

I nod my head. "I was playing with the other kids yesterday and he started making fun of me. He called me a freak and everyone laughed."

"What he did was very wrong. I'm going to have to talk to him about that." Ms. Susie says. "You are not a freak. You're special. And there's nothing wrong about being special. You have a gift. Something that no one else has. What you do with that gift, that's up to you. You can use it for good or you can use it for the wrong things. But always remember, it shouldn't matter what other people think of you. Don't let what Bobby said about you keep you from being you. As long as you stay true to yourself, who cares what anyone else says. Do you understand?"