Chapter 8 - The Numerenai

The caravan stopped as the sun dimmed. The carts gathered around in a circle and the wards were placed. In the middle of it all we sat and slept as best we could while a shift of guards kept watch for movement. I stripped my shirt and used it as a pillow, for lack of better, and laid down on the grass. It was not yet the grass I knew of Ire, but knowing we had crossed the border was still enough to fill my heart with nostalgia. My heart yearned to see her and her father again, and in my reminiscing I found myself humming. Here, Caius would not follow. Though I go to face the source of my dread, I do it knowing I had gained something at home. Even far my old friend gives me assurance.

"You have been to Ire before?"

I turned up to see a child, a boy, had wandered to me and sat. His innocent curiosity made me smile, "Yes, that is right. I spent my ten's here with the house of Oauis. How did you know?"

"That song you were humming. I've heard some Ire-blood sing something similar at some parties." His eyes dart to my wounded ear, now that it is visible. "I... um. Father would take us to parties while he talked to traders."

"Is it your father with whom you go on this journey?"

"Aye. That's him back there." The boy pointed to a man that was distantly watching us, and not looking too pleased with his son's adventurous spirit. I gave him a reassuring smile. "We are going to Ne and he hopes to make it rich." The boy sighed and stroked the grass with his hand.

"You don't seem to agree."

"I don't care for it. He says I have no value for money. But I just... I want to go with him. I want to be one of the Sleepless so I can watch over them all the time."

"So you wish to be a Numerenai." I sit up and look at him firmly. "It is a noble profession, but not all make it. If you are serious, find a guild to help you through the trial. The last thing your father would want is for you to enter the trial of the last sleep and fail to wake. Don't try and do it without them. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its smart. Your father is right in thinking money has value. So, if you want his support, try and learn his trade, and save to pay the joining fee when you are older."

"I'll remember that." The boy nods. "Thanks, mister?"

"Valspear." I leave off my house and nation name. Best they stay ignorant for their own good.

"Senec, if we are going by first name only."

"Ah, it is too late in the day to let that fly by you I see."

"I'll call you Val the Secret then."

I can't help but smile. Whether he is used to strangers or is comfortable under the watchful attention of his father, the kid was relaxed, confident, and fun. His eyes haven't been darkened by life, but nor does he seem ignorant of it.

His father called him over, we said our goodbyes, and I laid myself down to sleep.

I was awoken by a commotion and hollering. Movement around me stirred my attention. Men and women hurried around, the guards brandished their spears, and the sun remained unlit.

"Ambush?" I wondered, rising to my feet. I wished I still had the Kingslayer on me. I looked out into the night, but saw no movement.

My feet squished down on something thick and wet as mud. I looked down and saw the ground had turned to a black liquid about ankle deep. It hadn't rained overnight, nor was there mud here before.

The Night Blood had come! The wards had failed us.

No, the Night Blood did not come close to the wards. The areas lit was still clear ground. We had spread the camp out too wide so the center was darkened where we slept, but even so something was wrong. How did they enter?