Zyris Lane Part 1

"Do we really have to keep following him? It's the third time this week! Plus, it's a Friday. Can't we take a break for today?" Dylan complains while they follow the principal's assistant's silver sedan. 

Xavier, being the driver, ensures that there is at least a ten-meter distance between their cars. He wouldn't want Mr. Zyris to catch onto their plans of tailing him, though they have been doing that since Wednesday. He made sure that their car was running at the same speed as the one their following. At least, that's what Leandre requested of them as a scout and a hunter.

"Quit complaining. He might go somewhere unexpected this time," he returns, not bothering to spare a glance at his friend.

Something's not right. How can someone like him be so bland and plain? Most of the girls at school are crushing on him, even the teachers. How is it that he spends time doing something tedious? We've been following him after he leaves school since Wednesday. He always goes to Moonlight Café after school, converses with the owner, and then leaves. After that, he buys food at the convenience store and then returns to his apartment.

"He's just going to Moonlight Café to talk to the owner. There's nothing special about that at all," Dylan grumbles, crossing his arms and scrunching up his face. "It's not like Ms. Rosetta is suspicious. She's a kind, old woman. Maybe they're just family."

Xavier doesn't respond and continues to ponder about the situation.

Moonlight is situated at the border of Lyra Town and Cruxford. Lyra Town is Blood Moon's Territory while Cruxford used to be Dark Crescent's territory... But Mr. Zyris lives at the heart of Lyra. Is this a plausible connection?

Dylan dramatically gasps, covering his mouth with his hands as if a revelation has just displayed itself in front of him. "What if..." he drags on and makes drum roll noises before proceeding, "Ms. Rosetta is Mr. Zyris's glucose guardian?"

At Dylan's unexpected remark, Xavier stomps on the brakes causing Dylan to shoot forward and almost hit his head on the dashboard.

"A little warning would have been nice." Dylan glares at Xavier while covering his forehead with his palms.

"Glucose guardian? Really?" Xavier questions sarcastically, slowly stepping on the accelerator. He doesn't let Dylan respond and sighs. "I can never comprehend where or how you come up with these things at the most random moments."

He parks the car in front of the cafe and orders Dylan to find them a seat.

"It's so not cool how we're coming here every day pretending to study. Why can't we invite girls again?"

"We're here on a mission. Having girls around would be too much of a distraction," Xavier enunciates, turning off the air conditioner and the sound system and then removing the keys from the ignition. "Plus, who said we were pretending to study? I am studying. You should, too, if you even want to graduate high school."

"Fine. I'll order us a lot of food! It's a good thing Leandre likes this place. We get to use his membership card." Dylan waves the card around the air before stepping out of the car with his backpack in tow.

Xavier grabs his bag from the backseat before proceeding outside.

The setting sun paints the color of the skies a darker shade of blue with peach and orange-colored clouds. A variety of vehicles ranging from two-wheeled and four-wheeled is parked within the café parking lot.

'It seems a lot of people are here today,' Xavier thinks while opening the glass door of the café.

The drowned-out noise becomes audible, and the aroma of sweet delicacies and drinks circulate the air. Just as he thought, there are a lot more people in the café than usual. It is most likely because of the current confectionery they sell which attracted a lot of the young ones. Families have overtaken most of the booths near the window so sitting there was out of the question.