Chapter 7

He headed towards the bus stop

He headed towards the bus stop. Tiny drops of rain started hitting the glass cover of the bus stop.

"Oh no. I didn't take an umbrella."

"It's okay. We'll take one from a convenience store if we need to." He reassured me.

We got on the bus. It was almost empty, with one old lady riding in the front and two other older men in the middle.

It was so quiet,  you could hear the low-volume folklore songs on the radio the driver probably liked. The windows were fogged up because of the heating in the bus.

We sat in the back, with Damyan sitting next to the window and I next to him.

More and more rain started pouring and with the silence of the morning bus, you could hear how it hit the windows.

The bus drove over the uneven streets, shaking slightly.

My palms were suddenly getting sweaty.

It was the worst time to be raining. The sound of it always reminded me of that day and now that I was with him...

I tried not to think. I can't turn back into that shy girl now.

"Let's listen to music." I suggested and pulled out my wireless earphones, gave him one and then placed mine in my ear.

I played a calming playlist. Eyes off you from PRETTYMUCH started playing.

I looked up at him. He was staring outside the window.

The moment I looked away, I could see from the corner of my eye that he turned his head.

I glanced back at him and this time we locked our eyes.

What was probably a second of a glance, it felt like a whole lifetime.

It was hard breathing and the silence made it even more intense.

Without a word he glanced back at the window wiping it so he could stare outside again.

My heart sunk back in my chest. It seemed like the tension was off.

He wasn't going to do anything obviously.

The more time passed, the more I was sure my seduction methods were working. There was no way this tension could be faked.

I took a deep breath trying to gather my thoughts.

He was my first and last crush. In high school, I had no interest in anyone nor wanted to meet someone.

My ambitions were the only thing that mattered. I don't want that to change now, not when I know he's only showing interest because I'm playing all these games.

I don't know if it was the song that instigated it, but he turned to look at me again. I locked eyes with him again, but he didn't look away.

His eyes lowered down to my mouth then back to my eyes.