Chapter Six

Six-

Skylar turning one is a big deal apparently. Mom wants to throw her this big party with all of our friends, but does she really need that? She's one, it's not like she'll remember any of it. She can barely even enjoy it.

Her birthday falls on a Thursday. Crystal and I are going to leave Wednesday night, skip school Thursday and Friday, and leave to go back home Friday morning. Friday afternoon is when mom is planning the big hoopla.

Trinity's excited about seeing Skylar again, and I love seeing how happy Skylar gets when we mention 'mommy', like she really knows what we're talking about. Sometimes I think she really does understand, especially the times at night when we're alone and I just vent to her. She's a good listener, never interrupts me.

I find it odd that Crystal's excited though. She rushes around my room, packing a bag for Skylar, while Skylar's attempting to stand on her own. Mom says she'll be ready to walk any day now, and I can't wait for that day.

"I think Sky's all packed," Crystal says, placing Skylar's backpack and diaper bag on the bed, where our bags already sit.

I thank her before throwing on a shirt. Crystal picks up Skylar and I pick up the bags.

In the living room Mom's cross-stitching something on the couch while Chelsea plays with some toys and Christian watches TV beside Mom. "We're leaving," I announce. Mom jumps up and hugs me.

"Be careful." She kisses my cheek before moving to Skylar. "Have a good birthday my little princess." After Mom showers her with kisses she looks at me and says sternly, "send me pictures tomorrow. I can't believe I'm missing her first birthday."

"It's going to be one depressing birthday," I mumble, thankful no one heard me. Her first birthday is going to be spent in a hospital room with her sick mother. It's going to be a real hoot.

I place the bags in the trunk of the car before taking my place in the driver's seat. After Crystal snaps Skylar in her car seat, she climbs in beside me and we're off.

I have no idea how Trinity's going to react when she sees Skylar again. She has grown a lot since the last time we visited, more hair has grown, and she is coming close to her first word, which is leaning towards momma more than anything else.

We make great time and get there around ten. Both Crystal and Skylar are asleep and have been for the last hour. I really don't want to wake Crystal, I love watching her sleep, as weird as that sounds, but I can't carry her and Skylar plus our bags. We're staying at the same hotel Skylar and I stayed at last time, only a little way from the hospital.

They both pass out immediately on the queen sized mattress, leaving me chuckling. I change into some floral pajama pants and a plain white tee before climbing into bed beside Skylar, who is now between Crystal and I. When they both let out a little snore I can't help but smile. It's hard not to love both of these girls in front of me, and I'm one lucky guy to have them in my life.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

We're doing drills when Little Miss Late comes running down the hill, dark purple lacrosse stick in hand. "Sorry I'm late, I was using the little girls room!" That always seems to be her excuse.

The coach rolls her eyes, but let's it slide since she's late everyday. Derrik and I continue throwing the ball back and forth as I watch Trinity walk up to Haleigh Richard to start their training.

"Dude, just make a move already," Derrik says, and I groan when I feel the ball connect with my head, making me scowl at my so-called friend.