Chapter 11

Eros's Pov:

  I am frantic in my search for her. How could I have been so careless? I shouldn't have let her out of my sight for even a second.

  I slam on the brakes when I see her. Her shadow stretches out behind her as if reaching out to me. My moment of relief is short-lived when I notice she's not alone.

  I almost tear off my driver's side door to get to her. I don't care about any of that though. I'd tear apart this whole town to get to her. My feet push down against the slush-covered ground bringing me closer to her.

  I pull her into my chest and shield her from this stranger and the world the moment I am close enough to even touch her. She shrieks her surprise but, I don't care for that right now. I only care that she's safe.

  "There he is", says the man, "the wonder boy himself". I take a deep breath and feel my anger flare.

  "Why are you here rogue?", I growl.

  "Well, I'd come to bring the lovely lady a gift but, in light of new information I've decided to rescind it", he says.

  "We don't need anything from your kind", I growl.

  "Of course not", he smiles, "but, you know I did once make a deal with one Ms. Dianamph Cimorelli". I bristle immediately.

  "What do you know about my brother's mate?", I ask.

  "Enough", he says, "but, I must say I much more interested in you and your brother".

  "What do you want?".

  He grins, "an audience".

  "Who are you?", asks the tiny voice of my mate

  "As I said the name is Breuer little lady", he says.

  "Who are you really?", she asks. He smiles at her a great big smile. I'd be unsettled by it if I wasn't so focused on the shadows moving behind him.

  "I am a ghost", the shadows materialize into men, "the first of many". My blood runs cold at the sight of these men. They are haunting in their distortion. Men with plucked-out eyes, missing noses, torn away ears, or cut-off hands. They're all missing something.

  "Now, I'm sure you're gunning for a fight, and normally I'd be right there with you but, I'd hate for something to happen to Ms. Aurora here", he says, "so how about you let me and my friends here go and we try again another time". I look down at my beautiful mate and realize he's right. As much as my mind and my wolf are screaming to beat this man to a pulp and get some answers, my first priority is to protect her.

  I give him a nod and he cackles, "we'll be in touch Panganiban". He turns away from me and almost seems to be dancing in his walk; the men turn back into shadows and slink along behind him. It's only when I'm sure he is gone do I start to check over my mate.

  "Are you hurt?", I ask.

  "No", she says, "I'm okay". I breathe a sigh of relief.

  "What the hell were you thinking?", I shout, "you could've been hurt or worse!".

  "As I said I'm fine and I can take care of myself", she huffs.

  "Do you have any idea how much danger you were in just now?", I ask, "you could have been killed".

  "But, I wasn't", she pushes at my chest, "can you please put me down".

  I ignore her question, "what did he do to you?".

  "Nothing", she sighs, "he just offered me some pills and said some bullshit about my eyes".

  "What kind of pills?", I ask once again looking over her for signs of harm.

  "I don't know", she says, "dude was sketchy as fuck so I didn't take them".

  "What did you do with them then?".

  "Nothing, they're on the ground over there", she gestures over her shoulder and sure enough I see them.

  I pick up the bag immediately and examine it closely. They look innocent enough. They're just little blue tablets in blister packaging. They almost remind me of sleeping aids. Why would he give her these? Finally, I notice where we are. My jaw sets as things click into place.

  "Why were you breaking into the dumpster of a pharmacy?", her tan skin pales.

  "I wasn't", she lies.

  "Why did he give you these pills?", I ask.

  "I don't know", she says, "the guy was a psycho".

  "God damn it Aurora", I say, "I can get you help, why didn't you tell me you were struggling with this?".

  "I don't need any fucking help", she spits, "I'm fine".

  I sigh, "look I'm going to drop these with Dr. H for analysis, and then we are going home".

  "That house is not my home", she spits.

  "Then where is your home?", I ask.
She's quiet.

  "Do you want to go back to that shit hole apartment?", I ask, "or maybe you'd prefer your corner?".

  "I want to be free", she says.

  "Free from what exactly?", I ask, "do I mistreat you somehow, because if I've done something just tell me and I can fix it".

  She snorts, "you're so full of shit, I know what you are".

  "And, what is that exactly?", I shout.

  "You are just one more asshole playing a part", she hisses, "you'll slip up soon enough just like everyone else".

  "No", I say, "I'm not".

  She laughs, "then what are you?". I put the pills into my pocket and use my now free hand to push her fringe from her eyes. The anger in her eyes gives way to surprise as I lean down. My forehead rests against hers and I stare deep into her eyes.

  "I'm in love with you", my lips capture hers.