Chapter 12

Aurora's Pov:

  He takes me through the back entrance of the hospital. The stairs seem to go on forever. I don't understand this man's aversion to just going in the normal way and taking the elevator. I swear it takes ages to get to the room we went to last time.

  When we get there the man from last time is arguing with a nurse. He's holding to the sleeping woman's hand like his life depends on it.

  "Why can't I stay with her?", he shouts.

  "Sir, we've talked about this", says the nurse, "visiting hours ended three hours ago".

  "What if there's a change in her condition?", he asks.

  "Then she's in good hands", she says.

  "What if she wakes up?", he asks.

  "Then we'll call you", she sounds as though she's had this conversation a million times before.

  "Hey", Eros interrupts, "can you get Dr. H for me, it's important". The nurse sighs.

  "Yes, but, after that you all have to leave", she says. She brushes past us as she leaves the room. The man plays with the girl's fingers and presses kisses to her palm.

  "What's going on?", he asks not looking at us.

  "I don't know yet, but, we ran into a rogue", Eros says. The man straightens up at this.

  "What did they want?", he asks.

  "He said he wants an audience with us and that he knew Diana", he says.

  "How?", he looks to us now his green eyes blazing with hatred.

  "I'm not sure, something about a deal", Eros says, "and he gave her these". Eros takes the pills from his pocket and holds them up.

  He inhales a sharp breath, "those look like-". He stops as though he can't find his words.

  "I know", says Eros.

  "Hello, Eros", he turns us to see her, "what brings you here so late?". I can see in her face the exact moment she sees the pills.

  "Are those?", the question seems to stick on her lips.

  "I think so", Eros says, "can you take them for analysis?".

  She takes them from him, "yes, of course". She leaves the room before she can even finish her sentence.

  "Can someone tell me what's going on?", I ask. The green-eyed man looks down at me.

  "I'm Eros's brother, Apex", he says, "this is my mate, Diana".

  "Okay, nice to meet you again but, that explains almost nothing", I say.

  Eros sighs, "I think those pills were the same ones she took to wind up like this". I look at the sleeping woman.

  "And?".

  "She's been in a coma for the last four years", Eros explains, "I think that man was trying to do the same to you".

  "What did he say to you?", Apex asks.

  "I don't know he wasn't making much sense", I say.

  He sighs, "please just do your best".

  "Well, he told me his name was Breuer and that I look like my mom", I say.

  "Wait", says Eros, "who is your mom?".

  I shrug, "I don't know, she gave me up at birth, probably some addict".

  Eros sighs, "he said he'd be in touch".