2: Reed

I was pissed.

No, scratch that. I was beyond pissed!

I look around the small house I used as a refuge from all the pack members for a few hours. I needed to break something. I needed to hurt someone or something. My mother was just murdered this morning in front of my very own eyes. My mother...graceful and fun...former Luna of my pack...was dead! What was worse was that I couldn't track the criminal who did this. They masked their scent well so not even my wolf could find them. I had been tracking all morning for nothing and landed here to clear my thoughts, but it wasn't working.

Damn it!

I throw the couch out the window and into a tree, breaking it in half. Stuffing goes everywhere like snow, but it does me no good. I need something else! I look around and see the refrigerator. Grabbing it, I throw that against the wall, which also goes flying into a tree with the force behind my strength. Breathing heavily, I sit on the ground and put my head in my hands. Why did it have to be my mother, of all people?

My pack feared me when I got pissed off. I'd snap and go about throwing whatever I could find that would satisfy my need. They respected me of course but feared me more than anything. Ever since I was ten, my moods were always unpredictable. And for the next fifteen years, it hasn't gotten any better. My mother was the only one who could calm me down long enough to ask what was wrong. The only other person who would be able to do as much or more for me would be my mate, but I haven't found her yet. She's dead too! I growl to myself.

I spend the rest of the day in the small house, distracting myself with alcohol and fixing the couch. Nothing could be done for the fridge, not that it mattered anyways. There wasn't any food in it since the last time I used it three months ago for a small get-together with a few friends—whom, of course, had their mates already. This thought sparks my anger back up and I end up crushing the liquor bottle in my fist, blood mixing with the alcohol. Sighing, I left and headed back to where the pack awaited my announcement of our next move.

Fuck! What is our next move?

I had no idea and that was not good. Obviously, my next move should be finding my mate, but that would leave my pack unprotected and unguided while I'm away, not to mention the few men who would come with me for backup. But finding my mate after my mother just dying would put stress on the mate more than necessary, not to mention the added burden of caring for someone else for me. I didn't need someone else to look after. I didn't need a weak link who would drag me down six feet under.

But I needed someone to share the burden of leading the pack. I needed someone who could take care of the women while I took care of the men and warriors. I needed someone I could always trust to have my back. I wasn't sure why my mate hasn't looked here for me, why she avoided coming here.

Okay, well, I guess I can understand why she'd avoid me. I'm a mess. My mother was my last hope of living through my hellhole of a life and now she's gone. Now, I'm a living ticking-time-bomb waiting on the next situation to blow up. My pack didn't need a heartbroken Alpha, they needed a leader. But right now, I couldn't do that.

I was just going to go into the pack house when my Beta, Thrain came up with a determined look in his eyes. I sighed, knowing what this was going to be about. "I highly doubt I'm going to find anyone trustworthy in a pack so lovey-dovey with each other. They're all a bunch of zombies if you ask me."

"Corey found his mate and saw a female there who seemed to be mate-less and perfect for you."

I roll my eyes. "Corey has said that about every pack he's gone to. You can't trust him about women, you know that!"

Thrain smirked. "But he swore on his life she was it."

I give him a knowing look. "That doesn't count!"

My Beta handed me a piece of paper and held up his hands in surrender. "I'm just the messenger, but I say you should try."

I roll my eyes and go inside the building, looking down at the words scribbled on the paper. Lonetooth Pack: a beauty no man can keep their eyes off, not to mention her fiery comeback! I smirked but threw the paper away, dismissing it immediately because I didn't want leftovers. I wanted a loyal mate, not one who goes with any guy she encounters. Corey always found the women I distaste. Go figure.

I was eating dinner beside Thrain next to a large bon fire when two grey wolves sprang into view. One shifted into Corey, while the other stayed how she was. My friend found a long shirt from behind a tree and gave it to the she-wolf before putting on pants and sitting beside me. "I forgot to ask if she was alright being here."

"She'll have to go through the acceptance trial first," I say. "You know that."

Corey nodded and stood when a beautiful brown-haired person stalked towards us, all legs, and seductive smiles. She wrapped her arms around her mate and batted her eyelashes at him. "Alpha, meet Jena from Lonetooth Pack."

I nodded at her. "Welcome, Jena. Congrats on having Corey as your mate. I must forewarn you that he is quite a handful sometimes."

She shrugged. "I knew that when I saw him!"

I almost gagged – key word was. "Jena, before we accept you into our pack, you need to go through a trial for females that test your capability on handling tough situations. If you pass within a certain percentile, you will be welcomed into the pack along with anyone else who might pass that are new. We will hold trial in three days, so prepare yourself."

She smiled and batted her eyes at me. "I'm ready, Alpha."

I stand and nod. "Good, now I need to steal Corey for a few minutes for pack business. Why don't you wait here with Thrain and Corey will be back to show you where you'll be staying temporarily?"

She nods and lets him go, walking over and sitting next to my Beta, talking idly with him. I turned and walked out of hearing distance from them before stopping and running my hands through my hair. "Reed, what's going on?" Corey asks, all playfulness gone.

"My mother was murdered this morning," I say bluntly.

"Wait-murdered?" he stumbles.

"Murdered, in front of my eyes, no mercy whatsoever." I look at him. "I'm lost, Corey. My mother was the last straw for me. If I don't figure something out, I'm going to lead this pack into the ground."

"Find your mate, man! Thrain and I can handle a few days without you!"

I shake my head. "I can't leave that burden on you two."

"Reed, if you don't, then bad shit will definitely happen because you are too stubborn to let someone else help you. Go! We'll get ahold of you if something is wrong. Seriously, I don't care how long you take. Just find your girl man!"

"But—"

"Go!" He pushes me away towards the forest. "Don't come back until there is a woman riding you like a noble steed!" I glare at him for making such a comment, but he waves me away. "Don't make me get Thrain involved!"

I shake my head. "Fine!" Giving him a grateful smile, I hold my hands up in surrender. "I'll go find my girl and when I return, you'll be sorry!"

He applauds me like he's heard the best news in the entire world. "Great! Can't wait!" With that he runs back to where his mate was talking to my Beta. I turn on my heel, strip, and shift. I follow my wolf's keen instinct and hope I'm making the right choice.