7 Simone

Day 2,740

I have observed and listened to my mate's conversations with his friends, Thrain and Corey, and have decided that I feel better than I have ever before in my entire life. Thrain, although intimidating, is alert and quiet. Corey is like Jerom, funny and a bundle of joy. He puts Reed in boyish state that suits him well. When Reed smiles, his eyes brighten, and his body relaxes. He continues to glance at me and make sure I'm alright, but what he doesn't know is that I'm better than alright – I feel like I can breathe again, even after Jerom's death. I don't have to be in the house of his killer, where memories are plentiful, and loneliness will threaten to take me alive. Having Reed and his friends take me away from Alpha Roniston and the people who suffocated me is a relief I've only dreamed of. Sure, I'm scared about leaving the only people who I have ever known, but I'm also looking forward to finding a new life somewhere. It's what Jerom would have wanted.

I am not ready to fully trust my mate yet. He may have saved my life and taken me away from an unbelievably bad situation, but I have yet to figure out if he is as my mother says. Because if he is, and I fall in love with him, then it'll hurt. If I don't fall in love with him, it will still hurt but more in the way of my hopes being flushed down the toilet than my heart being crushed. I want to trust him...I want to be completely happy with him, but I don't want it at the price of being broken afterwards. I don't want it if he's toying with me. I want a real mate, one Jerom spoke of last night. I want...

The car continues and we hit a bump, making me gasp. Reed puts a hand on my lap as if to protect me before slowing down a bit and glancing at me. His green eyes refocus on the road and I slump against the back of the seat. Behind me, Corey and Thrain mutter a conversation, but I can't make out their words.

"Simone?" Reed whispers. I look up at him and become very wary. His hand that was still on my lap starts rubbing soothing circles. "Can you tell me anything about yourself?"

"Like what?"

"Let's say, what's your favorite color?"

I stare at him, a bit surprised by his relaxed and gentle state. "Blue."

"Favorite food?"

"Anything cooked over a fire," I say, and he smiles, glancing over at me again. "I like the smoky aftertaste."

"Me too," he says and turns into a dirt pathway. "What else do you like?"

"I like to run but haven't been able to do it as often as I like. I like to write. I love being alone sometimes in my room because then Alpha Roniston isn't always watching me. I liked playing around with Jerom..." I bite my lip, looking away.

His hand squeezes one of my knees and he whispers, "I'm sorry about that, Beautiful."

I tried to sound strong, but my voice came out shaky and weak. "He was my best friend!"

The car stopped and I feel all eyes on me but didn't care as my seat belt was unbuckled and I was pulled over the console against a hard chest. I stiffened but arms banded around me and a hand stroked my back. "Let it go, Simone. It's okay," Reed whispered into my hair.

I shake my head, putting my hand on his chest. "I can't!" I hiss.

"Yes, you can. No one here will judge you for crying."