Chapter 47: Harper

Friday afternoon, the day after whatever the fuck I'd done with Jake, I got surprising news from his sister.

Ellie: Talked with Jake, Logan and I are going to fly in Friday.

My eyebrows lifted at that change of plans, since earlier Ellie had mentioned she stayed in my room. Li still planned a visit home, but I had no idea what. Before I responded, my phone buzzed with another message from her.

Ellie: That okay? We can hang out at the hotel but wanted to grab dinner if you're up for it.

me: Of course.

While I hadn't looked forward to telling Ellie the truth, it was probably revealed sooner than later.

Especially if their Mom attends the game.

At the reminder of the game, I realized I had no idea where Ellie's seat was.

me: Where are you sitting at the game?

Ellie: Jake got extra seats but said I can have Mom's.

I frowned at that development.

me: She's not coming?

Ellie: Not anymore.

A twinge of guilt pinched my chest at that reveal because there was no way Mrs. Harrison's reaction wasn't related to the bomb her son dropped on her during dinner. I texted him for verification.

me: Your mom's not coming anymore!?

dickhead: nope.

My eyes rolled at his lack of context or how he felt about that. I definitely had my own strong opinions on the subject, particularly if I'd contributed to that situation.

That's not right.

I fail to believe, after years of unwavered support, Jake doesn't want her there either.

With that in mind, I dialed a predictable source of feasible solutions.

"Hey Harps," Dad answered on the third ring.

"Hey, sorry to bug you but quick question." My finger tapped absently on my desk from where I sat in my 'how have I not shredded this awful thing yet' chair. "How many airline rewards do you have?"

"Too many that I'll ever use myself," he admitted. "Why? Coming to visit me already?"

"Not a chance." My shoulders bobbed a little as I laughed. "Can you give any to Gianna Harrison? Driving down here for Jake's games is taking a toll on her."

"As long as she's okay with it, I won't use them," he replied.

"Great, thanks."

I held the impression that our conversation was over, but Dad had other intentions. "While we're on the phone, how are you?"

"Fine, great. Same." I gritted out and drummed my fingernails on the top of my desk. "You?"

"Fine, great, same," he shot back in a flat voice. After a few seconds of silence, he admitted softly, "It's quieter here."

"I think you've earned a little silence by now," I laughed as Mrs. Harrison's praise of his single father efforts were actually pretty accurate.

He did a pretty damn good job, if you ask me.

"So listen... Your family day event," he started in a hesitant voice and my eyes closed. My mouth parted in a gasp as I crossed one leg over the other and angered my sensitive lady bits.