Chapter 25: Harper

I almost can't believe it. I fucking did it!

My cheeks hurt from how hard my smile pinched them. Even my eyes were tired from how often I'd blinked away tears, happy ones for once.

"Harps," Dad whispered hoarsely into my ears and hugged me tightly. "So proud of you."

"Thank you," I rasped out from the lump of pride and satisfaction that swelled up in my throat.

"Oh Harper!" Li flung her small frame against mine. "Congratulations!"

"Oof." My head bounced back a little from where her shoulder lodged into my neck but I laughed and hugged her back. "Thanks for putting up with me."

"Not done with you yet," she teased, hugged me again, then stepped back.

Kieran coughed quietly, his hands shoved in his pockets. "Congrats, Harper."

"Come here for an awkward hug, Friendzone." I grinned and opened up my arms. His chest bumped mine, a bit too hard, and it really was an awkward as fuck hug as his large hands clapped on my upper back versus my finger pats on his. "Take care of my roommate when she's done with me, okay?"

The past seven weeks had been boring yet eventful. From where I stood in our lecture hall room, which had been turned into an informal certification ceremony, finally, finally, I clutched a piece of paper that represented my paralegal certification. Technically, it was a blank piece of paper rolled up and tied with a black ribbon tied around it. I was almost positive it was just printer paper from within the School of Law's Administration Office, but I'd earned my real certification and it felt fucking fantastic.

I hadn't heard from Jake at all during this time but I hadn't given him my new number. Ellie had it but my phone had mostly stayed in silent mode since I'd had my own other distractions. Wyatt, who seemed like just as much of a night owl as I was, and I texted each other daily. My certification exam was a bitch in its own existence.

One lone exception was a statement Jake issued that defended my innocence in the whole leaked nudes stupidity, which Dad had sent me. I assumed it was an indirect nod of appreciation for the 'anonymous' recording of Ethan's idiotic admission that he was involved I'd just as 'anonymously' sent to UCLA's Athletic Department.

While I appreciated Jake's effort, I still kept to myself after I read his social media message. Time was all that shitstorm needed before the media moved onto the next big ratings grab.

As Li had hinted, I'd decided to stay at UCLA for my Bachelor's degree. I probably needed summer classes so that I caught up and finished by next spring, more than a year from now, but I was determined to go through with it.

Even though I'm losing my roommate this summer.

While their plans weren't set yet, Kieran and Li had both taken, and acceptably passed, their MCATs for med school. Their applications were still under review but they'd only applied to the same schools within the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.

They were still ridiculously cute, they still rolled around in Li's bed, and I was still equally disgusted and impressed that they hadn't broken it yet.

After Friendzone and I parted, a pair of warm, strong, inked up arms snaked around my waist from behind. A hard chest pushed against the back of my shoulders and soft lips kissed my left cheek. "So proud of you, beautiful."

"Me too," I boasted with a smirk, turned my head, and softly pressed my lips against Eddie's.

Yeah, that Eddie. California Highway Patrol Officer Edward Davis pulled me over three times, only one of which was an actual speed violation, before I agreed to go out with him.