- Chapter 39 -

To hold one's breath because of falling in love would be enough to spread wings and fly to high heavens. But... to hold one's breath out of fear for the beloved's life is a completely different sort of sensation. And one Jovan loathed, especially because the threat on Jagoda's life came from someone who had hurt him as well.

That was NOT something Jovan was going to accept nor tolerate. Ever!

Whatever made Jagoda assume that the person threatening to barge in through the door of Bojana's hut was Goran Dimitris, Jovan took it as absolute truth. If she knew that it was Goran pounding on the door, demanding to enter, then so be it. Jovan wasn't going to argue about it. Nor would he waste time doubting her judgement. Instead, he concentrated on gathering his strength to rise from the bed in order to defend her. But, much to his frustration, he failed. Repeatedly.

"You are in no shape to rise from that bed," Jagoda whispered to Jovan, and her words sounded like a command rather than a concern for the beloved's wellbeing.

"I can see that, Sultana," he grit his teeth. "But I won't let him hurt You."

"I think I can handle one lying coward," she replied bluntly.

"Why? Just because we handled two back then, in Your time?" Jovan offered her a sarcastic look.

"That's part of it," Jagoda nodded, moved her shoulders up and down, and reached toward her belt, pulling out her gun. "This would be the other part."

"Do You even know how to use it?" Jovan raised his eyebrow.

"Better than Anil knows how to throw his dagger," she narrowed her eyebrows, feeling a bit insulted.

"Where on earth did You get it?" Jovan continued with questions. He fisted his hands, clenched his jaw, and stood up.

"Guns for Dummies Depot," she puffed out air and rolled her eyes.

"I wonder if that's where Goran got his," Jovan chuckled, winced from pain, then swore to release the anger.

"No doubt about it," Jagoda replied grimly. "He is one dirty dummy jerk."

"I would use stronger words," Jovan grunted and willed himself to take a step forward. Overcome with a sharp-shooting pain radiating from his chest, all he wanted to do was lay back down, but he demanded more of his body - more strength, more resilience, more robustness. He was a Navy Seal, for heaven's sake and not some scaredy rabbit whisperer.

"You cannot face Goran in this condition," Jagoda shook her head.

"Sure I can. Where's my sword?" Jovan said with sarcasm and looked around.

"Where You left it," she said coily.

"Which means?" Jovan tipped his head to the side.

"You left it with Anil," Jagoda fluttered her eyelashes.

"Damn," he whispered under his breath while trying to appear stronger.

"I would use stronger words," Jagoda clicked her tongue and mocked his words.

"I know You're in there!" Goran shouted and interrupted their conversation. "Your pitiful bimbo's in there, too! I know it!"

"You're a pitiful bimbo?" Jovan raised his eyebrows, surprised to say the least.

"What is a pitiful bimbo?" Jagoda tipped her head to the side and pulled the gun out of the holster.

"You don't want to know," Jovan shook his head. "Wait, how does he know I have a pitiful bombo?"

"I would be careful, Valiant," she pointed at him. "Do not refer to me in a term You do not want me to know the meaning of."

"Right," Jovan corrected his stance. "How does Goran know about You?"

THE TIDES OF TIMEOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara